Photo Editor

Following TJ kindly lightning one of my pics to make it about a million times better, I was just wondering what software you folks use to improve your images? All I've ever done is crop, so have no knowledge/experience in the field. Free downloads would be my 1st choice, until I get some semblance of skill at it, and whether it's something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Thanks for your knowledge :o)

• Yes, it's Windows Alan. For cropping, I'm still using the software that came with the Panasonic bridge camera I had, because I know how it works lol.
  • No, not got it, Alan. I'll have a look on windows store or somewhere, thanks
  • I tried with the original of the one TJ lightened to make it similar to what he did, but had no success. (To be fair, only tried for about a minute or 2 before I got distracted lol)
  • Looks like I could just use that then :o) Thanks Alan
  • I predominantly use Adobe Photoshop ver10, which suits my needs, without all the social media bells and whistles that seem to haunt most software today.

However, I think today, as with many software companies, they've got greedy and now its charged on a monthly basis.

There is another photo editing suite, called Lightroom, but I've never used that so I'm unable to comment further.

I also use Microsoft Picture Manager from time to time, a nice straightforward program, and still free to download for Windows users.

• I used the built in one, following the instructions in the link, and loaded the same redwing pic, and got very similar results to TJ, in about 30 seconds. The only reason I've not been using it is my mistrust of massive corporations with my data, and also, the fact it automatically does "albums" and "videos" for me, which I don't want. There's probably an off button somewhere deeply hidden in an option of an option of an option, but it seemed easier to not have it as the default photo app! Photofun Studio 9.9 I think is the Panasonic one I've been using.
  • Thanks Mike. I think there is a free version of Photoshop, as well as a monthly charge one, and having spoken to my sister (she's more into "proper" photography than me...camera club, and competitions etc etc) she uses Lightroom and another one, that I can't remember the name of.
  • PimperneBloke said:

Following TJ kindly lightning one of my pics to make it about a million times better, I was just wondering what software you folks use to improve your images? All I've ever done is crop, so have no knowledge/experience in the field. Free downloads would be my 1st choice, until I get some semblance of skill at it, and whether it's something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Thanks for your knowledge :o)

You're welcome.

I did see some links on Google to a free version, though I didn't pursue. Photoshop used to be highly recommended years ago, though I'm not so sure it has the same high recommendations these days.

There is a mobile device version, which used to be very good, but as with the Desktop/Laptop version, that too has now become social media (the scourge of today) orientated, which to me, I find intrusive and it takes away from why I wanted a photo editor in the first place.

I'll be interested in what you finally opt for and how user friendly you find it.

Good luck with your quest.

• Full Photoshop is still the gold standard, but is a monthly subscription product. Photoshop Elements however can still be bought as a one-off product & is what I use. It does everything I need and can even be enhanced by unlocking additional features for a small sum to a 3rd party (effectively it must be full Photoshop under the bonnet). Lightroom, also by Adobe, is a photo organiser with built in editing features, whilst Elements is a photo manipulation programme with some organising ability (if that makes sense). So, if your photo editing needs are basic, Lightroom will be more than adequate - but if you're not really using its organising abilities you're wasting your money (Elements is cheaper).
    If you shoot RAW, you'll likely need to update Elements occasionally (if you replace your camera) as manufacturers change the format of their RAW files every now and again. With regular camera upgrades, I reckon I've had to upgrade Elements roughly every 4 years for example. However, if you're shooting jpg, less of an issue as that file format is a standard (and therefore doesn't go out of date).
    I'm still trying to work out what "Social media orientation" refers to :-)
  • Here's a link to Photo Elements 2020 software via Amazon.     I have Lightroom 6  but can't say that I am a real fan of it or it's cataloguing so may look again at Elements as I used that years ago;   full Photoshop is out of my league both in terms of understanding the vast array (mainly for professionals) of things it can do and the huge subscription on my purse that it demands !     I'm older and need simplicity these days   LOL