Twice more unto the river, dear friends, twice more (in one day!)

So, usual scenario, day off... where to go. Originally thinking of hour and a half plus drive to Greylake in Somerset.... forecast not good enough, too iffy for my liking, so default setting is down the river....

Nice fresh bitter start to the day, looked pretty with the frost and hint of mist though. Got to the river, to be greeted by Grey wagtail, who I've not seen in a few weeks, since the river flooded, guess it was too deep and or too fast flowing for him

Walked a little further on, and a mini flock of long tail tits burst into action, unfortunately too quick for me, but in following their flight, it led me to a a pair of tree creepers, which I don't recall seeing by the river before

I got up to the weir, and noticed a phalanx of photographers aiming camera's at the water inlet/outlet there

I walked the whole length of the river looking for my elusive kingfisher shot, but to no avail. I heard a couple "peeping" but no sight... through some foliage (poor shot sorry) I saw something but don't know what it is?

And when I got back up to the weir, it had started spitting with rain so I decided to pack in for the morning, but Mr Gull decided to squawk a lot, so stopped a minute or 2

And then went home.

Mrs PB texted and said did I go to Somerset, and I explained no, and she said about having a parcel to return, and her prescription to pick up, if I was "free". Well, I don't know about free, I had 2 episodes of The Good Doctor to watch!!! Then my phone pinged again, and my prescription was ready too, so after lunch I headed back to the river town to do errands, and somehow I ended up parked in the same space I had done this morning!!

No wagtail to greet me this time, but Jenny was as accommodating as ever

and again by the weir, one of the otters was keen to come out

Then a very balletic looking gull fluttered down

And another tried to ruin my "millpond water" effect, by swimming in circles into his own ripples!

But I got the better of him....I'm not going to be outsmarted by a gull!!!!

I did eventually see a kingfisher, but he sat, barely moving, in a bush, with his back to me. I waited 15 minutes, but the only movements were turning his head slightly, so I decided to leave him be as a blue splodge in a bush his hardly scintillating viewing!

And then I did my errands and came home, and managed one episode of The Good Doctor Wink

• Lovely photo and commentary PB, despite no good view of a KF you still managed to see some fine wildlife; very envious of the otter viewings. Your mystery duck maybe a Little Grebe (possibly juvenile) but wait for an expert to come up with the answer; could be "Nessie" for all I know lol. Nice to see the "tree mice" and gorgeous Jenny Wren.

• Those otters certainly show well and worth the trip on their own. Good to catch the Treecreeper too, although it reminds me I haven't seen one for a while. Glad to hear you weren't outsmarted by a Gull, although I'm sure they'll keep trying and get you sooner or later - they always do eventually! I'd agree with Hazy that it's a Little Grebe, although I couldn't tell you whether it's a juvie or just in its winter wardrobe
  • A fine day, PB. Love the fabulous views of the Otters and the birds aren't bad either.
  • Lovely to see your "superstars" again, what a buzz it must be to see them like that. Mind you the Tree creepers and Wren are a delight too, and the BH Gull posed nicely for you.
  • Thank you all.
    I did think about it being a little grebe, and I know size can be misinterpreted with nothing to compare it against, but I thought it was a bit too big.... unless mentally I'm comparing it to the recently fledged ones I saw back in the late summer. Who knows how my mind works? Certainly not me!!
  • PimperneBloke said:

Nice fresh bitter start to the day, looked pretty with the frost and hint of mist though. Got to the river, to be greeted by Grey wagtail, who I've not seen in a few weeks, since the river flooded, guess it was too deep and or too fast flowing for him

Mrs PB texted and said did I go to Somerset, and I explained no, and she said about having a parcel to return, and her prescription to pick up, if I was "free". Well, I don't know about free, I had 2 episodes of The Good Doctor to watch!!! Then my phone pinged again, and my prescription was ready too, so after lunch I headed back to the river town to do errands, and somehow I ended up parked in the same space I had done this morning!!

No wagtail to greet me this time, but Jenny was as accommodating as ever

I could imagine no wagging tail from Mrs PB, for not collecting the prescription, and the parcel!

You really will not end up in heaven if you keep doing things like that....

Seriously, brilliant set of photos, and as always, a pleasure to see the otters.