Shortie and Barnie

Hi all, the gorgeous Short Eared Owls have returned to over winter down here in cornwall . I was lucky to not only see the short eared owls but the added bonus of seeing a beautiful Barn Owl hunting in the same fields

Best wishes m Jayne

• welshlass said:

Hi all, the gorgeous Short Eared Owls have returned to over winter down here in cornwall . I was lucky to not only see the short eared owls but the added bonus of seeing a beautiful Barn Owl hunting in the same fields

Best wishes m Jayne

Lovely photos Jayne, and good to read they've returned, lets hope they continue to progress. 

• Great to see and especially to get both together.
    The SEO's have been coming back to the NW for a few weeks now. I had a long distance sighting of 4 last Sunday but they aren't really posing well for photos yet. I've tried a couple of times but even after days of rain, they haven't come out until it is too dark. Rumours are the vole count is high this year, so they probably aren't troubled enough to come out during the day yet. You can still get lucky, mind, if they get disturbed by a hunting buzzard or harrier, but it's not happened for me yet.
  • Beautiful photos Jayne, I love to see the SEO's & such a bright blue sky too!
  • Very nice captures of the two owls Jayne, they are so beautiful. I've seen more shorties than barnies over the last few years. Off to the Wirral tomorrow so will visit Denhall Quay and see if the SEO's are showing as it looks good weather with no wind. Just happy to get out for a walk on a dry day with the promise of sunshine lol Walked 4 miles today and it was raining most of the time so didn't bother to take a camera !
  • Great shots, Jayne. How nice to get two species of owl hunting together. Love the way the sun has just caught the left eye of the Shortie.
  • Thanks for the lovely comments everyone ! I hope the SEO's come out closer and earlier for you Nigel -they have been seen hunting early am and I've watched them early afternoon down here, maybe try early morning if you are close to them ?
    Jayne
  • There's no need to panic yet, it's still early in the season. I'm sure they'll show more as winter wears on.
  • Unknown said:
    There's no need to panic yet, it's still early in the season. I'm sure they'll show more as winter wears on.

You may need a trip back to either Lunt Meadows, Parkgate or Denhall Quay but as you say still early in the season for them and I think it was around February before I got any decent shots of them on the high tide !    There were 4 shorties seen the other day (2 Parkgate, 2 Denhall Quay) but I was so engrossed watching the blackbirds and berry consumption that I forgot to turn around to face the salt marshes lol