RSPB Conwy 31 October 2019

No visit to North Wales would be complete without at least one visit to RSPB Conwy.

Amid the excitement of getting my first ever photos of a kingfisher (I've seen many, but never managed to get a photo or two), see posts The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 01 Nov 2019 & The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 02 Nov 2019, the reserve, although generally quiet, was still interesting and enjoyable to wander around, well, only to the hides, after the recent heavy rains, I decided it wouldn't be wise to attempt a mud plugging wander around the reserve.

Mr & Mrs Gadwall

Teal

And then without any warning, a small starling murmuration....

The next photo didn't suffer from vignetting, just the roof of the hide getting in the way....

And finally, uploaded to YouTube, the short mumuration video

Though quiet, it was as always, an enjoyable visit.

• Good to see the Starling numbers starting to increase; we were watching the start of murmurations at Leighton Moss a couple of weeks ago. Love the Gadwall and handsome Teal drake, the teal always look so small when next to other ducks.
  • Unknown said:
    Good to see the Starling numbers starting to increase; we were watching the start of murmurations at Leighton Moss a couple of weeks ago. Love the Gadwall and handsome Teal drake, the teal always look so small when next to other ducks.

Conwy reserve has always had a reasonable starling population. I often see one or two during the day there, but I've never been around at the right time for a murmuration before.

Teal drakes always look colourful.

I love the little grebes there, they always seem to be on the go, fishing, and when they do, they parade around with the fish in their beak for ages before eating!