Red Squirrels at Plas Newydd

After the excitement of getting a  photo or two, or four, or more, of a kingfisher, and then the following day photos of a heron grabbing an eel for lunch, see posts The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 01 Nov 2019 & The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 02 Nov 2019the rest of the week in North Wales paled into insignificance......

So here they are, a selection of photos of one little red squirrel enjoying a late afternoon feed before dusk at Plas Newydd.

• gaynorsl said:
    Lovely pics Mike, Plas Newydd is one of the good places to see the red squirrels. I also caught sight of one when out walking the other day, it was in a field and about 20 yards out from the hedge foraging. It turned and ran back in to shelter after about five mins, and a buzzard flew very low from another hedge. Evidently it had been hoping for a meal.

Thank you Gaynor.

Yes, Plas Newydd is a good place to see the reds, though I'm sure there are other places on the island.

Now I wonder who was hoping for the meal, the buzzard, the red squirrel, or both, but not quite each other!  ;)

• PimperneBloke said:
    Lovely set Mike. Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour has a resident population too. I saw my 1st one this summer with Mrs PB, (well fair's fair, she spotted it coz I just saw a blur lol) after probably 8 or 10 visits over the years.

Thank you PB.

Yes Brownsea Is does have reds, I had forgotten that (though I shouldn't have, being an ex-scout leader).

I recall seeing them regularly in N Wales and Snowdonia as a child in the 60's, but alas, apart from Anglesey today, and when I've been to the Highlands in Bonnie Scotland (hopefully a return trip next year).