Red Squirrels at Plas Newydd

After the excitement of getting a  photo or two, or four, or more, of a kingfisher, and then the following day photos of a heron grabbing an eel for lunch, see posts The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 01 Nov 2019 & The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 02 Nov 2019the rest of the week in North Wales paled into insignificance......

So here they are, a selection of photos of one little red squirrel enjoying a late afternoon feed before dusk at Plas Newydd.

• Beautiful set of photos Mike; what a cutie pie, still haven't seen a red squirrel in UK; last one I saw was in a park in Warsaw, Poland …. and it had a snow on its ears and nose !
  • Unknown said:
    Beautiful set of photos Mike; what a cutie pie, still haven't seen a red squirrel in UK; last one I saw was in a park in Warsaw, Poland …. and it had a snow on its ears and nose !

Thank you. I bet that looked cute, a red squirrel with snow on its nose and ears.

The reds are thriving on Anglesey, but only after a lot of work to eradicate the resident greys.

There are some small pockets in England, but not many and they are under threat of extinction. However, Scotland the reds seem to thrive and I believe Northumberland, but don't quote me on that.

• Cracking shots of a magical little creature Mike, we had a wonderful encounter with one on the Scilly Isles last year.
  • Tony T said:
    Cracking shots of a magical little creature Mike, we had a wonderful encounter with one on the Scilly Isles last year.

Thanks Tony.

I couldn't remember if the Scilly Isles had reds or not. We've only been there on day trips from Penzance when the helicopters used to fly out, landing on St Mary's and then a trip boat to Tresco or Bryher.

A lovely set of islands, where did you stay?

• Mike, we stayed on St Marys but used the ferries to travel out to the islands and saw the reds on Tresco in the botanic gardens.
  • It's always great to see Reds.
    As far as I am aware their main English homes are the Isle of Wight and they still haven't yet been pushed out of Cumbria which is protected by the mountains and moors. Keswick and Borrowdale used to be their main stronghold and I guess it still is. As you say, there may be some in Northumbria, too. The National Trust also maintains a small pocket centred in Formby but they are occasionally seen further out towards Southport. Sadly, I heard that there was an outbreak of pox again there early this year and many died.
  • Lovely pics Mike, Plas Newydd is one of the good places to see the red squirrels. I also caught sight of one when out walking the other day, it was in a field and about 20 yards out from the hedge foraging. It turned and ran back in to shelter after about five mins, and a buzzard flew very low from another hedge. Evidently it had been hoping for a meal.
  • Lovely set Mike. Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour has a resident population too. I saw my 1st one this summer with Mrs PB, (well fair's fair, she spotted it coz I just saw a blur lol) after probably 8 or 10 visits over the years.
  • Tony T said:
    Mike, we stayed on St Marys but used the ferries to travel out to the islands and saw the reds on Tresco in the botanic gardens.

Of all the islands, Tresco is probably my favourite, and the Tresco Abbey Gardens, they're absolutely fabulous.

On St Mary's, there's some fascinating shops if you come away from the main part of town. One such shop was called 'Man o War', which had some fabulous artefacts recovered from ship wrecks, and many had some [tongue-in-cheek] fabulous prices!

I'd love to go back one day, and especially as the helicopter flights from Penzance are set to resume next year.

• Unknown said:
    It's always great to see Reds.
    As far as I am aware their main English homes are the Isle of Wight and they still haven't yet been pushed out of Cumbria which is protected by the mountains and moors. Keswick and Borrowdale used to be their main stronghold and I guess it still is. As you say, there may be some in Northumbria, too. The National Trust also maintains a small pocket centred in Formby but they are occasionally seen further out towards Southport. Sadly, I heard that there was an outbreak of pox again there early this year and many died.

I feel you're right regarding those places mentioned, along with the Scilly Isles.