Hedgehog rescue this morning

out for a nice dry sunny morning walk this morning when my husband spots a little ball of prickles on the grass. Turns out it is the young hedgehog that comes round to feed every night in our garden! We decided to take them in and keep them warm and contact a rescue. The local ones were unfortunately full or very busy (as expected this time of year) however Prickles hedgehog rescue were brilliant they gave some good advice and even offered to take her in over winter. After we dropped them off turns out it is a little girl, fingers crossed she survives winter and we can pick her back up and release her back into the wild in the village. 

• Must admit that my first one was a bit wobbly on it's legs when we picked it up wandering around in the daylight so maybe I should have known better than to offer it food ... in my defence I have only read many of these warnings since I found mine ... more experience will give me a better idea of assessing Hoggies condition!
    There is a course being offered at my local reserve in early December on Hoggies & all aspects of their care being run by one of the larger wildlife hospitals ... price is steep @ £85 per person for one day ... I fear that there will not be enough takers to fulfil mimimum requirements & will be cancelled ... just like the Bat course was last year!
  • GMayers said:
    Sad news this morning, the hedgehog we tried to save yesterday has passed away in the crate at the rescue centre. We aren’t going to give up and will try and save this next little guy but we have found a rescue closer to home to cut down on the travelling, hoping this will make a difference.

Such sad news, but take comfort in the fact you tried your best.

• Sorry to hear about the poor hoggie, it must have been quite ill. Hope all goes well with the rescue and survival of the other one.
  • I'm very sorry to hear about the young hoggie not making it and wish you better luck with the 2nd rescue. All we can do is try our best although most wildlife, by the time they look like they need help, are often too far gone to be helped.
    At least it was warm and comfortable for its last hours and not outside in this dreadful wet weather and cooler nights.