Garden feeders and the TomTom drums.

Our garden has been relatively quiet all summer as we don't put feeders out with so much countryside on all sides. Our most regular summer sightings were the Robin, Dunnock, Blackbirds and Wren. Two weeks ago we put the feeders out - within 10 minutes we had regular visits from 2 Coal Tits. Within a couple of days we had the Great Tits and Blue Tits visiting. By the end of the first week we had Goldfinch back on  the feeders and Chaffinch sweeping up below. In the middle of last week we saw a Lesser Redpoll on the feeders and today the female Great Spotted Woodpecker arrived. Still to turn up this year are the Greenfinch, Long Tailed Tits and the Siskin - and if all goes really well the Brambling. 

How do they spread the word

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Morphic resonance Bob.

Or... Twitter.
  • How do they know indeed Bob? I feed all year and sometimes there is not a lot of activity as they are busy nesting etc, but fill everything up and within a blink they are there! They must have a 6th sense!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I think they must post a lookout, as quite often when I'm filling the feeders (even if they've been empty for a couple of days) as soon as I lift one off the stand, something starts chattering away. (I'm not going to pretend to know what as I barely know birds by sight, let alone sound!) and within 10 minutes of me vacating the garden there are coal, blue and great tits, and sparrows and goldfinches congregating. and often collared doves under the feeder with dunnock and sometimes Mrs Pheasants (yep, more than one) too.
  • I blame it on the Coal Tits, they just can't keep their beaks shut around here.

My Flickr photos

• Ditto what PB says. We first hung feeders in our new place before we even moved in; our way of letting everyone know we were on our way. The previous owners didn't, we think, feed.

First feeder was up, literally, seconds before it had attracted attention.

They must have some kind of rota going...

Or it's morphic resonance.
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    morphic resonance

That's two things you've said I've had to interweb, Dave….I don't think you're half as daft as you make out!!

I'm going with the rota idea though, coz if it spins at the right velocity then the birds will have 360 degree coverage with little effort from themselves, negating their need to feed through inefficient body "usage", providing more food for the rest of their family!

ps Just in case...I do know that's the wrong rota!!

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

It's not possible to be approaching that level of daft, PB. But I do my best.

Your take on rotas conjures distressing thoughts of wind farms. But I am intrigued by birds disposing of 'inefficient body "usage"'. That shall be my 'take away' from this exchange.
  • In reply to Alan.:

I think you may have nailed it Alan. 'There's always one', isn't there?
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    That shall be my 'take away'

Mine will be egg fried rice, beef and peppers in oyster sauce, and a few prawn crackers....I'm trying to cut down on my consumption, due to my own "inefficient body usage" 

• Presumable, PB, mixed together in a bucket, à la "The Meaning of Life"?