Last few pics from Leighton Moss - final morning

Weather is defying the gloomy forecast and turned out quite pleasant today with no wind or rain except a few minor droplets for very brief period.    After taking the full frame camera/300mm plus 2 x converter yesterday and finding the birds were far too close to get in focus,  I removed the converter today - but probably needed it   LOL    

Very cropped shots for the Bearded Tits (yes I will refer to them as Tits even if they are not members of the Tit family !  )     

Will put up more pics of other birds shortly ..............

• Too wet earlier this morning and now pretty chilly so I didn't take the camera out;   instead I took this short clip of one of the confiding robins on my old iPhone5.    

• I was about to suggest that you cut holes in the jeans as a fashion statement like all the youngsters are doing. Then I saw the photo and realized where the varnish was.!! Perhaps not then.!! :-)
  • ROFL @ Paul I'd get arrested if I paraded around like that and it's not the weather for it either !    It's taking cheek a bit far   lol  

Just returned back from reserve and saw Walter Rail again just before we left.

• I have missed this thread completely. What lovely photos from your day out, even although you had some day out!! Love the twittering Robin in the last clip, singing his little heart out. At least you had some fine food that hopefully made things a bit better. As for the jeans, oh dear, me thinks work jeans right enough, but I do hope you can find something to ware in those packed boxes and that you will not be going about half naked! You will get arrested you know!!
  • Thanks Catlady, The LM robins are always obliging when it comes to entertaining us !   

I've ordered a new pair of jeans for us both from good old M & S as our clothing currently in storage we won't see for a few months yet and not sure I can get through the winter in cropped jeans which is the only other pair I have ! I wrote to the council (parks dpt) ) but no reply yet - assuming I get one.

• It never stopped raining all day, here, so I'm not surprised you didn't take the camera out. Maybe I should be surprised that your roly-poly Robin didn't have a little umbrella. Given the Autumn we're having, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some animal evolves to have an umbrella and possibly matching wellies!!
  • Your I-phone video is tempting me to look out for similar one, (i only use a very old fashioned phone, just able to txt and call, no internet etc.) That is a fabulous picture and sound of a very contented Robin. Hazy if you don't get a reply from the Council I would be tempted to wrap the jeans up and send them to the relevant office, along with the bill from M & S.
  • Thanks all, just packing the car for our journey back to Cheshire; first we will spend the morning on the reserve for a last chance to see any Beardies that may come out and say goodbye to Walter ! Didn't quite have the amount of rain yesterday as forecast but it remained pretty gloomy all day long and far too dismal for pics.
    @ Gaynor, I too was surprised at the quality of that quick video on the iPhone5 but it does the things I need like text mainly and the odd phone call so won't be changing it anytime soon.
    @ Nige, think we'll all be growing webbed feet if this keeps up; the robin was all puffed up 'cos it was getting pretty chilly by the time I took the clip and we were all beginning to shiver !
    One funny thing I should mention is that we were chatting with a very pleasant chap yesterday who I introduced to Walter and bank vole ! A little eccentric in dress code with bright yellow smiley tie, pink/red trousers and a stuffed squirrel toy hanging from his jacket but a very interesting and charming person to talk too and a knowledgeable birder. .You can google him as The Biking Birder and read his blog. I noticed he was wearing a green badge which I knew I recognised from somewhere; eventually he revealed it was the Extinction Rebellion badge lol I did mention the close encounter we had in London with the red dye - and we all laughed !!!
    Ok, onwards and upwards, catch ya later buddies.
  • Last part of this thread with our final visit to LM this morning before we headed for home.    The weather was lovely this morning with plenty of sunshine albeit with a chill in the air and for a couple of hours visit we did very well and were able to see the Bearded Tits who came to Causeway grit tray.     I got there around 8am once I'd left Mike to pack the car and follow on  !     I was the first one down to the grit tray and as you would expect nothing was there instantly so I pulled my fleece round me a little tighter and waited   !    Within ten minutes I heard a clicking sound a bit like a Wren makes although I knew it wasn't a Wren so scanned the bushes opposite with my bins.    Then I saw a buff coloured chest and grabbed the camera as I recognised this elusive little bird and time was of the essence  !!   It was on the shady side of the Causeway so had to lighten the photo slightly in post edit but you will know what it is ...…..

within seconds it flitted to my side of the Causeway and although it was no more than two metres away from my feet it was hunkered down in the reeds and all you could see were the briefest of glimpses as it scuttled from reed to reed.     It was such a thrill to start the morning off at 08.10 with a Cetti's Warbler !

Then it was show time for the Beardies …….   two pairs visited separately but only one female was ringed out of the four birds.    

Well Mr Beardie …………..are you going to come out of hiding as you look like you are in jail  ?  

Uncropped version ……………….

cropped slightly ………..

it was keen to show me both sides    lol 

then it was Mrs Beardie's turn 

a different female (ringed)  and wanting to show you her tail 

Come on out of hiding beautiful bird ...…………….

she had a look of surprise in this photo   !! 

and her beau  - a different male to the first bird

I missed my 3rd special species by 20 minutes -  there had been two Spoonbills right in front of the Allen hide but by the time we got back to the car and drove over there they had flown, however, can't grumble with only two or three hours to spare before heading on to the M6 south  and having been lucky enough to see a Cetti's and good views of the Beardies.        

Thanks for viewing.