Last few pics from Leighton Moss - final morning

Weather is defying the gloomy forecast and turned out quite pleasant today with no wind or rain except a few minor droplets for very brief period.    After taking the full frame camera/300mm plus 2 x converter yesterday and finding the birds were far too close to get in focus,  I removed the converter today - but probably needed it   LOL    

Very cropped shots for the Bearded Tits (yes I will refer to them as Tits even if they are not members of the Tit family !  )     

Will put up more pics of other birds shortly ..............

• Thanks Jim and Tony,
    The Higginsons homemade meat and 'tata pies were delicious; I also bought some slices of roast beef and two sirloin stakes !
    Regarding the jeans, I've written to South Lakeland Council since phoning them as washing the jeans made no difference to the varnish and they are completely ruined so had to order a new pair. Mike's are also damaged beyond repair although we will still try white spirit on them once we get home but I fear it may make the jeans patchy and bring out some of the dye. With being in temporary rental both here and back "home" we had limited clothing with us until we get all our stuff out of long term store - don't think my only remaining pair of cropped jeans will be much use in winter LOL

Anyway, we did start the day on the Causeway (before the Firecrest arrived ! ) and had a Cetti's Warbler just a metre away rummaging amongst the cut reeds so although we could see it quite well I couldn't get photos of it as it navigated its way right by the Beardie viewing platform ! Was still a thrill to watch this bold Cetti's which I think must have been one of this years juvies.

• Oh dear, Hazel, what a shame. Hope the varnish in your jeans washes out. Maybe something like White Spirit or Nitromors possibly? Mr GB says start with the White Spirit. The other is very strong.
  • Just stop going there!
    ... Get the pies delivered!
    ... Or if you're one of those optimist types then, following two disastrous trips, it should be third time lucky next time. You'll need a fair slice of luck to make up for the last two episodes, so maybe the butchers will be giving away a free pie or, if you're really lucky, a 500mm f4 to their billionth customer or something!!!!!
  • Hope the Council pays for your new jeans!
  • Unknown said:
    Oh dear, Hazel, what a shame. Hope the varnish in your jeans washes out. Maybe something like White Spirit or Nitromors possibly? Mr GB says start with the White Spirit. The other is very strong.

Thanks Ann,   washing them didn't improve either of them at all, they looked just as bad so will try White Spirit once we get home.    

Bottoms up photo  LOL

• PS nail polish remover may also remove relatively fresh varnish, if it is one of the solvent based polish removers. It shouldn't harm natural fabrics but might mark or dissolve the clothes if they are synthetic and might affect any colours regardless.
  • Lol @ Ann
    Thanks Nige, to be honest I may as well try anything on them, will start with white spirit and then try nail polish remover as we can't wear them as they are and are only fit for work jeans now !

• Flipping heck Hazy that sounds like a horrid day out!!!!!! I hope you get at least a reply from the Council apologizing for the lack of notices. Thank goodness for the pies that at least kept you from hunger too what with having to wait for a train etc. Keep your head down and just chase the birds seems to be the answer, maybe the Cetti's Warbler will be around and you'll get a good photo along with some more Beardies.

PS    I was about to comment on your post before I saw your disastrous day,   you had thought my sis-in-law needed a butty and a good sit down!!!   had to laugh when I re-read the thread, I had phrased it awkwardly, cups of tea and butties we do quite well when Sheila is here:-)

• Lol Gaynor, hope those robins including Tich are still keeping you and your sister entertained; weather here is drizzling so we've delayed going on to the reserve and it's very gloomy so not much chance of seeing Beardies methinks or even that recently seen Firecrest so we'll go feed Walter Rail instead lol Bought a few dried mealworms from the rspb shop at LM which I've had in soak for 24 hours so the Rail might be more impressed than with sunhearts and suet !!!