Bird of Prey pictures?

Is there a thread for your Bird of Prey pictures on here? I couldn't seem to find one and would love to see your pics (I don't have any - must try harder) so please share

• One from last year and finding a kestrels nest. Used so many days annual leave to go see them. A month or so and it will be time to check them out again, already around the nest in the tree. Regret the music and part of the commentary, should have just put dates up. P900 bridge camera resting on a very handy log that I found in the field and put to one side in the hedgerow for my next visit. 20+ hours of them during the two month, lots of the camera slowly slipping and the kestrels out of shot.

• Great to follow them all through development.
  • Wonderful footage Bob, been 7 years since I last had youngsters here!
  • Such lovely series of clips Bob, a nice history of their arrival and first weeks. Thanks for sharing.
    @ Wendy, can't believe it was 7 years ago !
  • Unknown said:
    @ Wendy, can't believe it was 7 years ago !

Baby George was rescued in 2013 followed by aborted pairing 2014 & only seen a female a couple of times since ... been such a roller-coaster of dashed hopes!

• Thanks Nigel, Wendy and Hazel. Also passed the Sheffield peregrines on the way to work this morning, lets hope it ends better than last year.

https://youtu.be/da6kPdtl90M

• Territorial battle involving two Buzzards over Finchampstead, near Moor Green Lakes nature reserve; Thursday 5th March 2020.

I just missed the actual strike or very close encounter

The birds rapidly spiralled out of sight. It is amazing how quickly they can gain altitude without much in the say of thermals.

• Hi Angus, are you sure it was territorial as at this time of year the Buzzards will perform courtship display, locking talons, spiralling down towards the ground in magnificent aerial display; the male will do the "roller coaster" where he soars high and then rapidly tumbles down - all part of courtship. The pair will lock feet, tumbling down, it is beautiful to watch as these monogamous birds firm up their bond.

• Hazel,

Nothing lovey-dovey about this encounter. No romantic entwining of talons followed by a graceful aerial tumble.  This was more a discussion along the lines of 'get out of my territory or I'll rip yer gizzard out.'

I've hung around trying to get more definitive photographs, but either the weather was too manky or the Buzzards weren't flying.  Today, however, I spied them. First problem was that they were very high up. Getting a lock on them was a challenge. This is what they look like at 600mm.

Having got a lock on one bird I would track it with the shutter held at mid point. Problem is focus is lost as the bird moves around, sigh. Once the aggressor bird looked as if it were making a pass, it was a case of keeping the shutter depressed.  These are the results, cropped out, with not the best focus.

The defender starts its run, after gaining altitude

Closing in for strike.

WHAM! No attempt to entwine talons.  This was a straightforward strike.

It's over and done with in a split second, and the birds separate.

They drift apart. The defender then spends time gaining altitude in an attempt to make up for lost height and catch the interloper, who is steady riding a thermal.

This sequence of events happened three times whilst I was out with my camera. I reckon there were others prior to my noticing the birds and then rushing indoors to get my camera.

I hope to get better photos over the coming days. Partly as the weather improves, and the met office promises wall-to-wall sunshine, apart from Monday; and partly as we have at least one breeding pair in the fields/woods behind us.  We've seen one pair trying out various large conifers in the area.

Hopefully, I will be able to photograph them in their romantic aerial tumble; better still with proper focus. Now that would be something.