Blue tits

Wondered if anyone can answer my question please.

Hi.At the end of September got my boxes down to clean out.I have a triple joining box that when got down all had a fully established nest in.

Cleaned them all out put box back up high on the wall and ever since i have noticed Blue tits  back and forth all day long.

Is this normal and could they be sleeping in there?

• Hi Rosielee, the tits are most likely using the boxes to rest and shelter in, especially if it has been wet and windy weather. I cleaned out mine on Tuesday and had a Blue Tit nest with 5 little eggs in it and the Great Tit nest was empty. I know there were babies as the parents were taking out either the egg shells or the poo sacks. They fledge quite quickly and we were away on holiday, so missed them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I'd echo what Catlady says, Rosielee.
    The passerines in our garden have a huge clematis montana to shelter in when it's windy and wet. Nesting boxes do the trick too. Safe, warm(er), and dry(er).

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Thank you Dave for your reply it has been very wet and windy here.
  • In reply to Catlady:

Thank you Catlady it has been very wet ,windy and cold here the last 2 weeks so makes sense.
  • I wish it was in my other box which has a camera in.I was very lucky this May to watch 15 eggs laid all hatched and all fledged was amazing to see.
  • In reply to rosielee:

You're welcome, Rosielee.

A clutch of 15 all fledged: that must have been some sight (bet you were glad when it worked out for all of them).

Dave
  • Hi Rosie, birds like blue tits will also go inside bird boxes in hunt for small insects such as spiders. As well as using boxes to roost during colder months you may see activity pick up anytime from January onwards as they then start to inspect boxes very early on in the New year for potential nesting. We had Blue Tits checking out their favourite boxes as early as January 10th last year and would chase other birds away if they showed a desire for the same box !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Hi Dave.
    We have been very lucky with our Blue tit box. it has been up for 3 years now and i don't know if its the same pair ,
    we had 8,12 and 15 and have only lost 1 chick.
    As they seem to start nesting quite early where we live and its still chilly my hubby put a built in heater at the top of the box, also i breed my own meal worms so there's always a good supply of food.

Rosielee
  • In reply to HAZY:

Thank you Hazel.

There is so much to learn about these beautiful little birds.

Rosielee
  • In reply to rosielee:

Sounds like those Blue tits have found the ideal spot, rosielee.