Juvenile Male Kingfisher

An hour with this juvenile male Kingfisher. It was quite amazing to see how the light refraction changes the colour of the bird - when he was on the left hand perch he was blue and when he was on the right hand perch he was green. He certainly liked to make sure the fish had passed before he ate it. 

These last few pictures are stills extracted from the video.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• How on earth do you do that.

Super photos Bob. And you're absolutely right about the colour variation, which is really radical.

All of that and Teals (no?) Fabulous -

Dave

• Awesome phenomenalness Bob!!!! (and I don't care if it's not a word, it should be for your photos!)

Where are these taken, by the way? (I may have to move!!)

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:

Awesome phenomenalness Bob!!!! (and I don't care if it's not a word, it should be for your photos!)

Where are these taken, by the way? (I may have to move!!)

Far Pasture Nature Reserve in Co Durham. It's a bit hit and miss with visits during the year but at the minute the local river is running high and dirty, so the Kingfisher seem to be using local ponds - though we haven't seen either of the adults or the juvenile female for a long time

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

How on earth do you do that.

Super photos Bob. And you're absolutely right about the colour variation, which is really radical.

All of that and Teals (no?) Fabulous -

Dave

How do I do it? Several different methods  but helped a lot on this occasion by the weather and the site. The weather meant I could not only use a high shutter speed but could also use a smaller aperture, which increases the depth of field. As far as the site goes there are 2 main perches that he uses and he often dives, catches and then flies to the other to murder and eat. That means that you can pre focus on the second perch and be ready for him coming in and get better results with the greater DOF. With the 500 lens its a bit harder swinging it around to try and get him coming out of the water, quite often hes already out by I get lock on. As I said the last pics areextracted from 4k vifdeo and the quality of the stills is really good - almost on a par with stills taken. 

PS yes those were teal, numbers have built up from 6 a week ago to approx 30 now. The males are starting to burst into full plumage again after eclipse.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• You've excelled yourself Bob, your photos are superb and what a gorgeous youngster.

Lot to learn

• Great set. Looks almost Summery, especially with those bright colours.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Right Bob. That sounds really... easy. :-)

Seriously, thanks for the explanation. One day I'll persuade Mrs. Dave to go back to photography. One day. And I'll set your explanation aside to share with her.

On simpler matters, I've always loved Teal(s). Very, very beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Dave