Dull day at home suddenly got exciting!

Yes, watching the rain beat on the ground, and dark skies showing no sign of relenting, and all of a sudden, a first for our garden, a jay!

It's been decades since I last saw one, and even then, it was not in the urban environment...

I've managed to back a few photos, and apologies for the poor quality, though I did have to edit them a little to make them clearer.

The very first photo, it was a case of grab the camera and point before it flew off!

And I even manged to get a half decent photo of the jay hopping around the garden. Yes, it's feet are off the ground!

That certainly brightened up my day. Smiley

• How wonderful Mike ... nothing so exciting here so I just made a wet day even wetter by hosing off bird table & Hoggie feeding station, made me feel better!
  • WendyBartter said:
    How wonderful Mike ... nothing so exciting here so I just made a wet day even wetter by hosing off bird table & Hoggie feeding station, made me feel better!

Its the waiting game, or is it "patience is a virtue...."

Don't under estimate your garden, I love your hoggie cam vids.

• Am slowly catching up with Hoggie action again after a month's break having to care for my Bro who has dementia, a very hard job which doesn't allow much in the way of free time for posting on CF ... he has now gone to live with his Daughter & family!
    Itm, my lovely horde of Spadgers have been providing daily interest & amusement & am so grateful to have their company!
  • Well done Mike, Jays are such attractive corvids and clever little blighters, I used to love seeing them in our garden on a daily basis. Hope you continue to have regular visits from them.
  • Great captures Mike, liked the aerobatics, was it tamping for worms!!! Never had one in the garden you are soooo lucky.
  • Beautiful to get one in the garden and one who posed nicely, especially given how shy they can be and difficult to catch on camera in the wild.
  • Even though we live on the edge of farmland and wooded areas we see very few Jays,not the most popular bird in areas what are keepered
  • My turn to be jealous of your super pics, Mike, I caught a fleeting glimpse of a jay on my last trip to Holt Heath, but other than that not a sighting since I was a kid.
  • WendyBartter said:
    Am slowly catching up with Hoggie action again after a month's break having to care for my Bro who has dementia, a very hard job which doesn't allow much in the way of free time for posting on CF ... he has now gone to live with his Daughter & family!
    Itm, my lovely horde of Spadgers have been providing daily interest & amusement & am so grateful to have their company!

I'm so sorry to read about your brother. I know only too well the work entailed, and heartache, with dementia patients, especially close family members, having looked after my grandmother.

Both my wife and myself would be lost without the many natural visitors we have in our garden, it is a tonic, and when a special visitor happens to pass by....

• Unknown said:
    Well done Mike, Jays are such attractive corvids and clever little blighters, I used to love seeing them in our garden on a daily basis. Hope you continue to have regular visits from them.

Than you.

They are clever, but then most of natures creatures are clever in their own little ways, and definitely colourful.

I think it's more likely to have been passing through, but it would be nice to have jays as regular visitors.