So.... the forecast for this morning....

wasn't too shabby, so I thought I'd risk it for a biscuit, and went to Longham Lakes. My 2nd trip there ever, the first was blowing a hooley so not too enjoyable, but hey-ho

I started off just before sun-up, hoping to catch a sunrise. but alas, the sky was a beautiful pink, but by the time I found somewhere to pull over..... it wasn't!

So, at Longham there were numerous gulls 

and Swans.... that looks a lot of effort....

but it's worth it...

There were comments the previous two days about a Black Tern, and judging by all the people with big camera's and bigger lenses taking pics of this bird...this is it!

As I walked round the South Lake I saw what appeared to be a green woodpecker

And then a Willchiff Warblerchaff

I decided as my luck had been good weather- and sightings-wise to try my luck at my usual river on the way home...

and I saw a couple of kingfisher, a cormorant doing his best swan take off impression, a couple of otters, and a majestic heron....

The long and the short of it!

All in all a very good half day out, and I was thoroughly spoilt by what I saw!!

• A great set. Well done for getting the KF's in flight and good luck getting one on the near side. Mind, you it doesn't mean it will let you get closer ... unless you've been practising your impression of a small fish to attract them!! Still, we all need dreams, don't we! The occasional Black Tern pops up near me, too, but I've never had one come even close photo range.
  • Well, I have been practising my trout pout, and my catfish purr, I have a bream's smiley beam, and I've definitely got an ace dace, and sometimes I flounder, but I got my chubb down pat!! :o)
  • PimperneBloke said:

Thanks Mike

Michael B said:
    I'm getting sooooooo jealous of your brilliant otter photos

I think I must be having a fantastic run of luck with the times I go down to the river. The one missing shot I want is one of the KF perched on my side of the river, rather than 40-50 yds away across it, or alternatively, more than one of them in shot at a time :o)  (Just being greedy now lol)

Enjoy the run while you can.

I think capturing a kingy in flight is probably harder than on a branch. They're small, definitely not slow and a challenge, unless you sit prepared for hours....

So I still say well done.

• Michael B said:
    sit prepared for hours

Ohhh... that's how you're supposed to do it!! I walk along (it's about a 300m stretch maybe), and look and listen. Quite often you can hear the KF "peeping" as it flies. I think if I was sat waiting for it

a) I'd probably nod off

b) It would be gone before I saw it, as quite often I'm swivelling on the spot focussing as it goes past, hence why I've almost no head on /in front/ coming towards me shots

c) I'd probably get piles coz the benches aren't necessarily in the right places Grin

• Lovely pics, PB--thanks for posting (and for the awful puns from you and Dave!)