RSPB satellite tagged hen harrier vanishes in suspicious circumstances in the North York Moors

Another satellite tagged hen harrier has disappeared in suspicious circumstances, this one in Yorkshire. This is the 9th bird to disappear like this since August, where a satellite tag that was functioning perfectly suddenly stops transmitting on or near a grouse moor.

This bird was tagged from a nest in the Peak District, later went to Wales for a bit, then went all the way up to Nidderdale in Yorkshire. One morning he went onto the North York Moors, vanishing that same morning north of Hutton-le-Hole. The area was searched and no trace of the bird or tag was found. fedloan irs.gov easybib

• This is just despicable, but as we have seen from the government response to recent petitions relating to grouse moors they have no interest in doing anything about it. Ian
  • Yet more cases, and as has been said, nothing is going to be done about it. I think it is absolutely terrible that these things continue to happen, again and again, all our beautiful birds of prey. Surely someone has the common sense to do something and try and stop this happening.
  • As recorder for our little local bird club based in this Yorkshire raptor blackspot I can assure you there are a lot of folk in the area who would love to put a stop to these crimes. Our recording area is surrounded by grouse moors many of which will go to any lengths to get lots of birds to shoot. Anything that may reduce the number of birds to shoot is fair game to these estates no matter what laws they break along the way. Many people will have a fair idea of the culprits but,correctly so, the law required definite proof. We would love to see the end of the persecution of our fantastic raptors but catching these criminals is extremely difficult
  • When the RSPB does get definite proof in the form of video evidence it is deemed inadmissable, which doesn't help. Things are also certainly not helped by the likes of the Scottish Gamekeepers Association questioning the satellite tag data, see the RSPB blog on 8 October 2019 called "Challenging misinformation about satellite tags". Ian

• I think we are slowly winning Ian some of the smaller shoots in our area do seem to have different principles to the larger estates,not perfect but there is hope out there but it is going to be slow. I do not think there will ever be a total ban on driven Grouse shooting but I would certainly be in support of he RSPB's suggestion of licencing.