RSPB Conwy 21 Sept 2019

An autumn visit to RSPB Conwy had been on the cards for a while, further prompted by two things, I'm still a kid with a new toy with the camera, and the other, prompted by the first, a tea room in Llanrwst where the foliage around the cottage turns red for autumn, was due for photographing, with my latest acquisition....

Oh, and a third thing, a recent purchase of two ND filters, I needed to try those out.....

The sunrise was colourful, though a little dark, but I wasn't going to wait any longer.

After a slow drive up, via the A5, because the roadworks on the A55 were causing problems, I finally arrived, but with a rst stop on the way.

Sadly, as I stretched my legs around the lay-by, I spotted one sad looking bat. Close inspection, it was cold to touch and no sign of breathing, possibly a road victim, who knows.

Still, on to Llanrwst, and Tu Hwnt Ir Bont, is expected, in full autumnal bloom.

Anyway, the reserve, was a little quite from the bird life perspective, but then the tide was out, and the birds tend to be out with the tide, but that still didn't detract from the day, there's always something to see, and the dragons were more than active enough.

The tide was due to reach high tide around 15:00, which would mean soon after lunchtime, the birds would flock back to the reserve.

It was also the second of two Heritage Weekends, and the reserve, as always out to engage with the public, did their bit, so it was good to help people not familiar with reserves, see what was happening at the time.

Less of the waffle, and more of the photos, of which I took 400+ (one of the pitfalls of multi shots to get that one action shot), but managed to whittle that down to around 80. No, I'm not going to bore you with 80 photos, just a selection.

The next two, are two views I never tire of, Conwy Castle with Conwy Mountain (a mere hill at 244 mtrs asl) and Alltwen just behind it, then looking down the Conwy Valley to Moel Eilio and Pen Llithrig y Wrach.

Now for the wildlife.

I think these were a pair of knots, there had been reports of them around the Carneddau Hide.

Juvenile mallard drake?

As I said, the dragons, red darters, were active, mating and laying eggs, especially as it was very warm and sunny.

The blackberries were nice and ripe!

Probably my best photos of the day, were a couple of little grebes just at the right point from the Vadre Screen.

Yes, these were the main reason for the 400+ photos, but worth the effort.

Little Grebe with lunch

But it was soon gone....

Of course, if you've a hungry tummy, you need to find more food....

Bottoms up!

Going

Going

GONE!

Definitely gone!

Back with more lunch!

A flock of greylag geese flew in.

A bar tailed godwit feeding....

As the greylag were paddling past, I spotted some redshank, and I think among the redshank were some knots. But, something spooked the redshank...

And they took flight....

There were plenty of little egrets around, once the tide had come in...

But this one didn't stay long, I guess there wasn't any food for it....

And finally, a UFO shaped cloud over the River Conwy!

• I went three times, 30th July, saw them from the carneddau hide, 2nd august, same place, and 5th august, the hide right at the far end that you access from the back of the estuary if that makes sense.
  • Unknown said:
    Beautiful scenic shots with just a hint of autumn colours. I've never used filters - I take it they help with landscape photography.
    Good to get shots of the Little Grebe fishing. Cute little guys aren't they.

Thanks TJ.

I was more than chuffed with the little grebe, it was just perfectly located, the light was perfect, I couldn't have asked for better.

Filters can help, but I'm still very much a novice with the ND filters. The only other filters I use are the Star 6 and circular polariser, both of which are limited in the opportunities to use them.

I say that, if the light is right, then the circular polariser can be good for removing reflections off glass, ie the photographer and camera when taking through a window, with a but.

The but is, they can dramatically reduce the light, therefore requiring higher ISO and lower shutter speeds.

From what I understand, and I'm sure if I'm wrong, I'll be corrected, ND filters will reduce the incoming light, no matter how brilliant the light is, and again, the obvious exposure changes will ensue.

They should be great for those long exposure shots of running water, but with a tripod and some form or remote camera release obviously.

• KizzyW said:
    I went three times, 30th July, saw them from the carneddau hide, 2nd august, same place, and 5th august, the hide right at the far end that you access from the back of the estuary if that makes sense.

I know the hides you mention, the one accessed from the estuary is Benarth Hide, with Ynys Screen (a viewing screen) a little further upstream near to a gate where two paths break off.

Interestingly, I was there 04, 08 & 10 Aug, the latter being a real dismal day, the 4th was only for a couple of hours.

I always have a chat to the staff there when I arrive, and again when I depart, and don't recall any mention of avocets, but I have been asleep a few times since then, and could easily have forgotten, so they could well be interested in your sightings.