Long overdue return the Charlecote Park

Sunday 15th Sept, Mrs PR had a weekend off, (sadly she has to work at least one day over the weekend), so all chores were done and dusted Saturday, leaving Sunday for a day out together.

I'm sure we're no different to many households, trying to decide where to go, and the danger is, you can spend the time debating and not going anywhere....

Well, a couple of places were mentioned, then at the same time, we both said Charlecote Park for the deer, so it was to be.

Sadly these days, being able to get on to places like Big Moor, where I know Bob frequents, and I think someone else has recently, are out of the question for me these days, so I have to make do with suitable alternatives.

Incidentally Bob, there's no sour grapes, quite the contrary, it's great to see your photos and Big Moor again, I have many happy memories and even happier that someone else can share their photos. If ever you're around any of the stone circles like Stoke Flat, Barbrook (yes there is a very small stone circle by the pumping station), Swines Sty, Curbar or Froggat Edges, drop a coupe of piccies in. Thumbsup

In recent years, the fallow deer at Charlecote have been allowed in the public grounds, though there was a time when they were kept away from the public areas, but close enough to view comfortably.

The stag's were in the field along the main drag to the house, while the doe's were in a a field across the River Avon, and from what I gathered, the two can congregate together with ease. It is rutting time, so care and commonsense are required.

Whatever, I'd packed the big lens just in case they were much further away, and I made good use of the big lens, even though it was possible to get within metres of the stags and does.

While wandering to see the does, there was a flurry of activity above my head, close to the house, lots and lots of house martins flying around, so the big lens came in useful again....

I'll bore you no more, and let you see some of the photos.....

The stags at rest, my first view of them

And the does, feeding away...

And the house martins, not the 80's pop group either....

Whilst enjoying a cuppa at Charlecote, this red legged shield bug befriended me. I did try to encourage it to find its home, but it seemed to want to sit on my lap, and at one point, decided to make its home in the big lens bag, which I only discovered when I went to take the lens out!

A couple of quickly grabbed photos on the phone....

This was what I saw when I took the lens from the case, one contented red legged shield bug...

Even after being encouraged to find a proper home, it was keen to get back to the lens case!

• Looks like you had a wonderful day out with your better half Mike and got lovely photo captures. The fallow bucks look magnificent with their wide antlers and as you say building up to rutting season so long lenses are pretty useful at this time of year ! I like the shield bug trying to smuggle into your camera lens bag - it was just making sure you took its photo lol I might have to pay a trip back to Tatton Park now that rutting season is upon us and take my Sherpa/deer stalker and watcher with me !   Forgot to say love the House Martins, especially three in a row !   

• Some great pics of the Fallow Deer and House Martins. Either that shieldbug is looking for somewhere cosy or it's a keen photographer!
  • Unknown said:

Looks like you had a wonderful day out with your better half Mike and got lovely photo captures. The fallow bucks look magnificent with their wide antlers and as you say building up to rutting season so long lenses are pretty useful at this time of year ! I like the shield bug trying to smuggle into your camera lens bag - it was just making sure you took its photo lol I might have to pay a trip back to Tatton Park now that rutting season is upon us and take my Sherpa/deer stalker and watcher with me !   Forgot to say love the House Martins, especially three in a row !   

Thank you Hazy.

The shield bug certainly made sure it got in the picture....

• Unknown said:
    Some great pics of the Fallow Deer and House Martins. Either that shieldbug is looking for somewhere cosy or it's a keen photographer!

Thanks Nige

I did wonder if the shield bug was a budding model, trying to get on the modelling scene! Upside down