Hartington and Biggin Dale walk

Weather turned out better than expected today as we headed to Derbyshire and the quaint village of Hartington where we took a walk down to the River Dove as far as Biggin Dale turn off, then circular route back to the village again which was around 5 and half plus miles.     Long time since we got a decent walk in so bones were complaining and even though we had comfortable walking shoes our toes and feet were grumbling at the end when there is a long walk up a gentle gradient.      To be honest there were very few small birds being that in-between season and end of moult and although a passer-by told us they had seen a Dipper we did not see it.     We saw and heard more than I managed to photograph;  I am struggling a bit with the camera as my eyes have deteriorated despite having had new prescription for glasses a few months ago.   It's a bind juggling between glasses, binoculars and then camera viewfinder as often the bird is gone before I can get some sort of lock on the focus and I am having to change to my other eye in the viewfinder which is like asking someone right handed to write with the left    !!   However, here are a few quick pics.      It was good to see a lot of butterflies including pristine Painted Lady, Comma, Small Tortie and a couple of Speckled Woods and quite a few dragonflies - Common Darter methinks.    Anyway, here we go...……..

First a quick view of the start of our walk from Hartington village across pasture towards the woodland and River Dove.  (taken on old iPhone)

There were a few Common Buzzards in the air and a nice blue sky for much of the time

Eagle-eyed Mike spotted something distant up on a bare twig …        Great Spotted Woodpecker (f)

Two Grey Wagtails were seen on the River Dove - reminded me of Wilma as this is also a female.  

I tried my best to get Kestrel photos for Wendy but alas they sped off too quickly -   not the best but ….

There were lots of butterflies and what I think were Common Darters

There were still pristine looking varieties including this Painted Lady ….

and a hard cropped showing that tongue extracting the nectar  !

Lots of sheep grazing by the Dove and along Biggin Dale …..     this one made me laugh as it posed for photos

"Hey Mrs ….. like my new earrings ?  "  

take a closer look Mrs I have different coloured earrings …..    

I told it.....  " they look more like Klippits to me which I use to fasten up my sandwiches in polythene bags  ! "

Dragonfly who found a tasty meal which I'll show you in 2nd photo       Common Darter methinks ?

Small tortie butterfly in pristine condition 

couldn't come home without a photo for Paul (MC)    !!    BDR   (Biggin Dale Robin)  

and the last stretch of the walk towards Hartington - just over the brow of the constant incline and finally heading downwards

Right, time for a cuppa so will leave it there.      Thanks for viewing.

• Ta Alan, it was a few years ago (2011)
  • A lovely set from your day out Hazel. Sorry to hear about your eye problems. Hopefully you will be able to get some sort of fix! [Maybe wrong choice of words, but on the other hand that wold give you a really pleasurable walk and you would not feel your achy feet]! Looks like a nice place for a walk. Thanks for sharing.
  • Shuttlingsloe, the Peak Districts Matterhorn...

You certainly had a good days walking, and among some lovely scenery, which the River Dove, though I've always avoided Dove Dale, it gets too busy.

Another lovely walk from around that way is Beresford and Wolfscote Dales, which I've enjoyed walking through in the past.

• Thanks everyone,
    @ Mike, yes, we started off at Hartington village, down to Beresford dale, Wolfscote dale and turned left for Biggin Dale ! On another visit we started at Dovedale - Milldale but as you say, it is a very touristy area so Hartington is our preferred option. Tissington Trail is also another great walk.
  • Fabulous additional photos Hazy, wonderful views. I was amazed when I first visited Macclesfield and finding a town with the countryside on it's doorstep, nearly as pretty as Wales:-)
  • Some beautiful extra scenic shots.

Unknown said:
    To be honest, it's not really a hard walk and nothing like the moors and fells that Alan and Nige venture up on

You've reminded me, I was going to book a couple of days in the Lakes to go walking, now that school hols are over and I've warmed up on the local moors!

• Unknown said:
    You've reminded me, I was going to book a couple of days in the Lakes to go walking, now that school hols are over and I've warmed up on the local moors!

lol Nige,   our stamina for walks is slowly diminishing the older we get so make the most of it young man !      We'll be up at LM on 1st Nov.  for a week although the days will be a bit shorter by then;    (sigh at the thought of winter months).     Someone has got to feed the robins there since Uncle Jim disappeared for longer periods down to Cornwall    lol 

• Don't worry, I fed a couple of those Robins today, although they obviously miss Jim as there didn't seem so many out mugging passers-by as normal.
    Most action was out in front of Morecambe - would you believe 40+ Little and 4 Great White Egrets in the main pool, which is more than I've seen all together, and far tooo many photo opportunities with all those white birds in sunshine and blue water ... and I haven't done the last trip yet either. I may catch up with editing by xmas!
  • Sounds like a brilliant day of sightings Nige; weather was beautiful and warm; we were at Burton Mere today. Waders were a bit distant and no little or white that I saw and very few little birds so I concentrated on dragonflies, hoverflies and other insects.
  • Not a lot of birds out down here at the moment but there are about 50 house sparrows on the feeder I put up and had a few others calling round and a resident Robin, the house across the road gets badgers and foxes so will have to start catering for those so will make a few places were they can get in and out of the garden, I know we have a mouse in the shed getting the bird seed because it made a hole in the bag so put a camera up and got it coming for it :)
    Looking forward for some more sun its been very nice down here and looks like its going to get hotter :)