A few from yesterday at high tide on Red Wharf Bay

Like this one with the difference in size between the Redshank and the Oystercatcher

The tide was pushing the birds nearer for me to catch more easily.:-)

The Egret was a way away though!

Well will leave it there for a while as my dinner needs checking - it's easy to forget to take the onions off the hob when you get stuck into putting up photos I find!!!!!!

Gaynor

• Great set Gaynor of photos and lovely to see all the waders with curlew, oycs, reshank, L.egret, etc., It takes me back seeing Red Wharf Bay which I visited with my family on a weeks holiday in a cottage when I was just 7 years old My brothers and father used to walk round to Moulfre Bay, peg a fishing line out with silver foil drops and catch Mackerel for dinner ! We had no money for fancy fishing rods, they were more like bamboo cane those days but we did go out on a small wooden rowing boat and dangle a line over the side - and none of us could swim !

Hope you saved your bacon onions  lol

• Thanks Hazy, nothing wrong with bamboo canes for fishing rods, I'm sure my husband had the same when he fished years ago, and he also loved fishing from the boat and couldn't swim.    I remember he always said what was the point in swimming as the cold would kill him first!!!    

Yes saved my onions - just - and have finished the dinner now, pork, apple in casserole with the onions, lovely.

Will put up a few more now, blimey it takes a fair time with having to alter the dimensions each time, I can change size en bloc on the windows live gallery, but putting it on here seems not to work without as I say changing each photo for the forum.  

Here goes

You can see the tide has filled the bay now, some nice reflections too.

Smart isn't he

Quite pleased with those two shots of the B/Headed Gull

Even Mr Crow has been pushed up onto the grass now, he had been among the waders before .

Last of all here come the Pests

Didn't stay long thank goodness!!

O'h and one more, what are these please

Could they be Wigeon I wonder, not a good pic I'm afraid.

That's about it,

Gaynor

• That looks like a good spot to watch waders and take a few photos. As you say, getting in place and waiting for the tide to push the birds to you is usually the best tactic.
    I'm not sure about those last ones, but they seem to have long thin bills so I wonder if they are Goosander, perhaps just arriving back for the winter.
  • Thanks Nigel, I do like it down there at that stage of the tide, it is getting quieter now too as the visitors are returning home and you don't get disturbed:-) (I'm getting worse in my old age).

I had wondered about Goosander, now that would be nice.
  • Thanks Alan, it is always nice to get the full tide at mid-day, no early mornings for me!!!
    If they are Goosanders are they likely to hang around same location I wonder.
  • Thank you Bob, well that settles it then, we'll go for Goosander by general consent:-) I will have to get down there again this week and keep my fingers crossed that they still hang around.
  • Nice set Gaynor, and i'm especially glad you saved dinner!!
  • Wonderful photo additions Gaynor and the BHG looks very smart - great captures. You got a lovely selection of birds there and glad the pests didn't ruin the peace and quiet of the day !
  • Nice selection of waders, Gaynor. I do like the Curlew standing in solitary splendour. The waders are certainly flooding south at the moment after the breeding season in the Arctic.

In this photo I think you may have a couple of other species of wader amongst the Redshanks. Possible Little Stints on the left and a couple of what look like Dunlins on the right. My wader ID skills are not that great so I might be wrong.

Very nice looking place to visit.

• Thanks to all, and TJ especially for pointing out that there may be a L. Stint and Dunlin, I really will have to go that way again soon. Looks like the weather will be good tomorrow but I can't get out until a delivery arrives. What a beautiful sunset I saw tonight from my daughter's house where I was baby sitting without a camera grrrrr.