Parc Natural de s'Albufera, Majorca or do Hopoe exist?

Spent an afternoon at Parc Natural de s'Albufera on the Northern coast of Mallorca last week. It's a large reserve and you could easily spend best part of the day wandering the miles of footpath  and perhaps seeing more varied wildlife in the depths of the reserve. However they have created  a central area with several different hides looking out on slightly different habitats which cuts down on the distances walked in the heat of the day. 

Sadly I have concluded that the Hoopoe is officially extinct - it must be as I saw more Little Bittern (1) on this reserve than Hoopoe on the whole of the island (0). 

The most common bird I saw was the Spotted Flycatcher. 

On a technical note, this was the first time I have used the 1DX with the Canon 400mm f5.6 with the 1.4 TC attached and I am very pleased with some of the results. I idn't takre the big lens because of luggage restrictions and the fact that it wasn't really a wildlife holiday.

Little Egret

Spotted Flycatcher

Some kind of chaser

Spotted Flycatcher

Common Teal

Male Stonechat

Gadwall

First ever Crested Coot

Little Grebe

First ever Little Bittern which arrived in a flash and slid quickly out of sight down the reeds.

Black Crowned Night Heron

Little Egret

Black Winged Stilt

Juvenile Black Winged Stilt

Grey Heron

Juvenile Black Winged Stilt

Adult Black Winged Stilt

Osprey - no idea whether it was a local or one passing through. According to the reserve info there are only about 10 pairs on Mallorca most of whom seem to nest on the western cliffs so this could have been a regular bird.

Common Sandpiper

Common and Green Sandpiper

Green Sandpiper

Osprey

Spotted Flycatcher

Little Egret

Grey Heron

Little Egret

Shoveler

Common Snipe

Purple Gallinule

Shoveler

juvenile Black Winged Stilt

Purple Gallinule

Greenshank

Spotted Flycatcher with lunch - which it couldn't eat in the end.

Black Crowned Night Heron.

The search for the Hoopoe continues in early October on a trip to Granada. :)

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Lovely set Bob, and nice to see some unusual birds
  • I agree with PB Bob a cracking set.
    A mate sees Hoopoe in Alvor Portugal every time he goes, that looks a lovely wildlife area too so maybe a place to put on your hunt.

My Flickr photos

• You did pretty good for a non-birding trip Bob ... shame about Hoopoe not showing for you (& us)!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Superb photos Bob (the Hoopoes are on Lanzarote) -
    Dave
  • You still got some nice stuff, even if the gear was a holiday compromise. Great to get the over-achieving Flycatcher with an over-sized dragon.
    Good luck with the Hoopoe thing. I've never photographed one but I used to see them more often in Spring and Summer, even in S. Europe.

Nige   Flickr

• With or without any Hoopoe sightings you managed to see and photograph some lovely species; love the Spot-fly.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I visited Mallorca in April 2017 and spent a full day in the Parc. I don't recall seeing any Hoopoe on that trip either - or at least didn't get a photo of one.
    Good selection of birds, Bob, great to see a Red-knobbed Coot which I think are quite uncommon. Judging by the band on the neck they've got some sort of reintroduction programme in hand.
    Check out golf courses when you go to Andalucia which Hoopoes seem to like because they are lush from irrigation and makes probing for invertebrates easier.
    Great to see so many Spotted Flycatchers.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    Check out golf courses when you go to Andalucia which Hoopoes seem to like because they are lush from irrigation and makes probing for invertebrates easier.

That must be where I'm going wrong as I don't do golf.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Great to see your photos Bob, shame you didn't get to see the Hoopoe but you had some cracking shots of others that we don't get to see over here. Your Little Egret pics are so clear, and also the Little Grebe I love.

Lot to learn

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

A very expensive way (taking up golf) of seeing Hoopoes Bob.

We see them regularly in Tuscany, a little inland anywhere between Piombino and Grosseto and from April to September (at least). And it's a nice part of the world, with Ospreys, Marsh Harriers, Bee-eaters and the like.

And they've started to return to our region too, and were Bird of the Year for BirdLife Switzerland a few years back.

All the best -
    Dave