RSPB Conwy 04 August 2019

As many of you will know by now, I have been staying up in N Wales for just over a week, and to top it all, complete with new camera; Canon 5D MkIV, (new toy and all that stuff), been exercising it well.

The first of three visits to RSPB Conwy was on a drab Sunday, but not too bad considering the weather towards the end of the week (photos to come).

Needless to say, I took over 1000 photos, which even for me, is over doing it, but I was trying out all settings and scenarios, and photos whittled down to a nice sensible number.

So, the first days shooting:

Pretty much the weather for the day, and as always, a splendid view across the reserve, this time with little egrets trying to shelter from the weather, though one was busy feeding (photos will follow here) and down the Conwy Valley to the Carneddau in the distance.

Nice to see the wasps have been allowed to continue with their nest in the viewing screen

Little Egret Feeding, the only one that day seemingly to brave the elements...

I was always taught to eat with my mouth closed! Open mouth

Hmmmmm, not so keen on my greens with this fish...

Black Tailed Godwits giving a fly past....

Whimbrels sheltering from the weather....

Little Grebe

More whimbrel, this time in flight. I had to look hard to make sure it wasn't a curlew, but there is definitely a stripe on the side of the head

Cormorant airing wings, most likely after a feed....

Oyster Catcher having a bath....

Oyster Catcher shouting the odds:

Oyster Catcher coming in to land:

Carneddau Pony enjoying some scrub around the Deep Lagoon

A pied wagtail, about to take off, and stopped dead in its tracks as soon as it heard the camera shutter!

And the last photo of the day, a whimbrel on mudflats on the Afon Conwy (which is tidal and the tide was on its way out) which runs alongside the reserve, 

Photos will be posted very soon from the other visits.

• Lovely set Mike, starting with a picturesque shot of the hilly welsh landscape and sheltering Egrets followed by the busy wasps, wading whimbrels, not forgetting lovely pony and camera obliging pied waggie ! Look forward to the next set.
  • So, the new camera's going OK, then Slight smile A great set, but I do like the Waggie raising its wings 

• Unknown said:
    Lovely set Mike, starting with a picturesque shot of the hilly welsh landscape and sheltering Egrets followed by the busy wasps, wading whimbrels, not forgetting lovely pony and camera obliging pied waggie ! Look forward to the next set.

Thank you Hazel.

The pony is one of around a dozen that are kept to keep the scrub down around the reserve. What better way to keep nature in check, a natural source.

• Unknown said:

So, the new camera's going OK, then A great set, but I do like the Waggie raising its wings 

Thank you Nige.

I too liked the waggie, it really was a video moment, that would have captured the moment perfectly, it was almost like an emergency stop!

The camera is fine, provided a bundle of pleasant and interesting surprises.

The interesting ones are where I've got used to certain settings with the previous camera, and the 5D gave different results. Not a negative factor, just interesting and the prime reason for trying all scenarios, so a plus plus in my book.

It has also resulted in purchasing a couple of ND filters, the ones I have are 52mm and the lens is 77mm, but it's no good not having the right tools.

• Nice views of Conway Mike, your new camera doing a grand job.
  • gaynorsl said:
    Nice views of Conway Mike, your new camera doing a grand job.

Thank you Gaynor, I've one more set to upload.