Juvenile Cuckoo

Last night I was spoiled by being able to watch this juvenile Cuckoo and it's parent Meadow Pipits

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Another fantastic set Bob
  • Thanks Bob

Your patience behind the lens, has certainly served you well this year.

Really appreciate your sharing with us.

This is truly mesmerising, and my favourite in this from your list above. Thanks again.

• Just amazing, thanks Bob!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• A fine set of photos and sequence Bob and what a thrill it must have been to have been able to watch this weird but wonderful encounter with the almost supernatural !   

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

A fine set of photos and sequence Bob and what a thrill it must have been to have been able to watch this weird but wonderful encounter with the almost supernatural !   

Thanks Hazel (and everyone else). This up there near or even at the top of my wildlife experiences, it was a thrill to watch the activity for an hour. The Cuckoo was hardly fazed by my presence or the other car that pulled up - fortunately they didn't get out but took their shots from the car window. Although the Cuckoo was this giant presence either on the rock or the fenceposts it was interesting to see the Meadow Pipit being as wary in its approach as it would have been approaching its nest. Another thing that puzles me is that when the Cuckoos arrived early summer they were constantly buzzed by Meadow Pipits as if they were the devil itself. Now we have a parent feeding it's "own" baby that is unmistakenly a Cuckoo - its not like its a giant Meadow Pipit that moults into a Cuckoo. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Stunning set Bob...you lucky boy!

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Bobs_Still_Retired said:
    Another thing that puzles me is that when the Cuckoos arrived early summer they were constantly buzzed by Meadow Pipits as if they were the devil itself.

I think I read somewhere a while back that smaller birds were often more wary when seeing Cuckoos because of the striped underbelly and their resemblance to a Sparrowhawk so maybe that could be a reason,  I'm not sure.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• What a treat to witness that. I hardly ever see a Cuckoo these days let alone a juvie being fed. Cracking photos, Bob.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks, Bob, amazing luck to see this behaviour. It must be both comical and heartbreaking to watch.

Kind regards, 

Ann