The Windhover

This morning I got to witness how the Kestrel also got its name "The Windhover"

I paid a visit to Orgreave Lakes which is now a lovely area to walk around but was the site of the infamous battle between the miners and the police during the miners strike.

It's a beautiful day here, lovely and warm but with a strong wind, while I was sat on a bench getting buffeted I noticed this beauty hunting...a long way off.

It then landed on a post and struggled just as much as I did.

but when it took off you could see how it got its name The Windhover by effortlessly Flying and gliding in the wind.

even more impressive I think from what I could see when it went to ground it was catching Dragonflies..

A cracking experience watching it.

My Flickr photos

• Such a fabulous treat to see wonderful Kestrel in natural surroundings ... great captures, thanks D!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Photos are amazing Alan, but it's your last line I like the best.

Isn't it great to be able to see that?

All the best -
    Dave
  • Stunning shots Alan, and yes, a definite treat to witness :o)
  • Lovely pics of a lovely bird, Alan--thanks for posting. They truly are wonderful and amazing creatures and a joy to watch.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Beautiful pics of the Kestrel doing what it does best, hovering over the countryside, you caught it so well Alan, thanks for letting us share.

Lot to learn

• Great pics Alan, must have been wonderful to watch it hunt and the skill it has coping with the strong winds. Another hot day today so I think we'll all be hunting shade for a change lol

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Mad dogs and all that I'm off to Potteric Carr for the day.

My Flickr photos

• Hope you have a great trip Alan and look forward to your pics; I'm heading back to The Laurels to vacuum, mop floors and bring the remaining bits and bobs back - I've still got facilities to make myself a cuppa and two fishing chairs to sit on for Mike and I . It must be habit after 9 years but I can't stop myself going round the garden picking up bits of twig debris and driveway leaves ! Thank goodness my job as "park keeper" is coming to an end tomorrow - phew lol
    Poor birds haven't had food treats for the last few days and making me feel extremely guilty as we now have to abandon them - one of the robins keeps staring at me from his favourite perching place by the rockery lol

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Will the new people feed the birds aitch?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Superb, They are masters in those sort of conditions. Cracking sequence of shots.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream