At last a Local Osprey.

Last summer we had Osprey on our local reservoir almost every day throughout the summer but not this year. One was reported on Osprey Sightings on the 18th so this afternoon I took myself down there and was treated to 3 visits. It was clearly on the hunt, looking and hovering with the odd dive but never getting close to splash down and eventually it would drift off to the head of the reservoir and over the trees - either finding a roost or visiting one of the other reservoirs in the area.

Greylag Geese

Grey Heron having a stretch 

An unringed Osprey arrives

The Oystercatchers were the most disapproving

Juvenile Sand Martins having a rest every so often

And then the Osprey reappears

Hopefully it will hang around for a few more days.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Most fabulous flight shots Bob, great to see Osprey back again ... hope it hangs around for you!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks, Bob, for a lovely collection of birds at your local reservoir. The Sand Martins are adorable. Love the flock shots as well as the pics of the Osprey. Interesting that other birds view Ospreys as just another predator. How many millions of years have they had to work out that Ospreys do not eat birds?! In some of your Osprey shots the bird looks to have a broad, dark breast band (possibly indicating it may be a female) but in others the breast band looks narrower and paler (so it might be a male). I hope it stays around allowing you to take more pics. I've forgotten if your visiting Osprey last year was an adult or a juvenile, although of course this may be a completely different bird. However, they do revisit spots where they have fished successfully before or even simply only visited before.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Great photos Bob. Hope you get to spend more time around that bird.

Dave
  • Cracking shots Bob I hope it hangs around for you.

My Flickr photos

• Impressive shots, Bob. Love the way the Oystercatchers are trying to see it off.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Fabulous photos Bob, very envious of the Osprey, we generally only see them late season. In fact I love to see the waders too,

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    Thanks, Bob, for a lovely collection of birds at your local reservoir. The Sand Martins are adorable. Love the flock shots as well as the pics of the Osprey. Interesting that other birds view Ospreys as just another predator. How many millions of years have they had to work out that Ospreys do not eat birds?! In some of your Osprey shots the bird looks to have a broad, dark breast band (possibly indicating it may be a female) but in others the breast band looks narrower and paler (so it might be a male). I hope it stays around allowing you to take more pics. I've forgotten if your visiting Osprey last year was an adult or a juvenile, although of course this may be a completely different bird. However, they do revisit spots where they have fished successfully before or even simply only visited before.

Thanks Ann. There area couple of od things about the whole situation. Last year when we seemed to have an Osprey there on most days of the summer, albeit that it wasn't always the same Osprey, and they always ate their catch on site, I never saw the Oystercatchers behave the way they have done this year. For sure whenever the Ospreys fle, everything would lift but they never harassed the Osprey, apart fom occasionally the bigger Gulls would have a go. So it was quite unusual to see the amount of harrassment this year from teh Oystercatchers in particular, especially as there are no Oysterctcher chicks about-maybe its connected to the fact that we haven't really had an Osprey presence this season.

This is definitely a different bird to last season's regulars as it is unringed - last year we had 2 regular visitors which were ringed - a blue ring and a black ring, if i remember correctly - I should really go back and check.

Hopefully we get a few more visits but I am away most of this week - having a Gannet fest at Bempton

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Bob, I wonder if a Sparrow Hawk or another bird of prey or perhaps a Gull of some sort, has already taken most or all of any Oystercatcher chicks and thus put all of the adults on alert for any further birds of prey over the reservoir--speculation of course. Hope the Osprey visits again after you are home from Bempton.
    Looking forward to your Gannet pics.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    Bob, I wonder if a Sparrow Hawk or another bird of prey or perhaps a Gull of some sort, has already taken most or all of any Oystercatcher chicks and thus put all of the adults on alert for any further birds of prey over the reservoir--speculation of course. Hope the Osprey visits again after you are home from Bempton.
    Looking forward to your Gannet pics.

not many of tgevOystercstchers breed in the surrounds if the reservoir- they tend to go off onto the surrounding farmland and moors and then congregate back at the reservoir after the youngsters have fledged and start fending for themselves. Hopefully the Osprey will return or that we get a few more stopping off as they start to head for home. 

Apoarently it was seen this morning again and I am sitting patiently waiting for its return. If it doesn’t arrive in the next hour then I’m off to look for  

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Good luck with the Owls (presuming that's an Owl!)

Kind regards, 

Ann