Middleton Lakes 14 July

This was a long overdue visit to Middleton Lakes, the bird life was a bit on the quiet side, but the damsels and dragons were very prolific, oh, and so were the midges and horseflies....

Ok, note quite a bird or insect, but this filed of barley is almost ready for harvest, just a few green heads to view.

A soldier beetle having a wander

Not the same soldier beetle, but another one, and I can't quite make out if it was feeding on another insect, most likely a bee as there were plenty on the teasel, or just on a wander. Sadly, I couldn't locate it again to try and get a closer shot.

Little Egret having lunch

Banded Damselfly, probably one of the most attractive of damselflies, of which there seemed to be hundreds of them!

Little Ringed Plover, and boy, was I pleased to see this one. I thought I'd spotted one earlier that day, only to find out it was a juvenile black headed gull! Miffed!

Small White Butterfly, quite a few of these around as well.

Red Admiral

There were plenty of bees on the teasel.

Coming in to land, ready or not....

OK, perhaps it might not be a wise idea, this time.....

A solitary great crested grebe

And finally, a lapwing

• WendyBartter said:

Great pics Mike, plant look likes Common  Knapweed to me... lovely Thistle in first picbut can't give you the variety ........ just googling & found there is one called 'melancholy thistle' Lol

Thank you Wendy.

I've almost got to grips with birds, and slowly getting to grips with butterflies and moths, struggling with damsels and dragons, and plants, well, that'll come along in good time.

Whatever, I'll learn, with everyone's help, and in the interim, enjoy getting out and about.

• Just get the pics Mike, gives us something to do googling for ID's! Lol

We all learn a bit more too!

• WendyBartter said:

Just get the pics Mike, gives us something to do googling for ID's! Lol

We all learn a bit more too!

That is one thing I can do, keep getting the pics, with pleasure.  Slight smileThumbsup