Tribute to a Jay

A short tribute to a beautiful young Jay who graced our garden for a while but sadly was unwell, reason unknown and unfortunately died on Tuesday evening shortly after we took it to an rspca wildlife hospital.   

Some birds we encounter as passionate nature lovers will remain in our memories forever and this Jay will be no exception.    So RIP beautiful bird and as Paul (MC) would say ….. "fly free".    

This is also dedicated to all forumates who regularly answer questions on the community, offer great advice and is also dedicated to all wildlife volunteers who go the extra mile  giving TLC and help to all creatures great and small.      

My thanks to everyone for your kindest of words during this sad update

• I wouldn't like to say why it's behaving like that. You never know, it might be hanging around hoping to get packed and taken with you, along with all the peanuts. They can be cunning, these corvids!
  • Beautiful bird, but something not working properly I'd think Hazy, they eyes closing slowly and the beak opening at the end of the video, with you up and away it's difficult to know what to do.
  • O'h heck poor thing, both you and the bird. Sounds like a gullet problem as you said Hazy, hope you can manage to get it in a cage tomorrow and maybe get help for it.

Only a week left, well you will have some gorgeous photos and videos to peruse in future times to remind you of all the work you and Mike did in the garden and of course your experiences with the birds will always be with you.
    .This week promises to be fairly good weatherwise so sit out and enjoy the garden while you have the chance, blow any more packing, it will happen all in good time.
  • Oh dear, sorry to hear the Jay has problems. It must be pretty sick to allow you to capture it. It did seem strange that it was so tame - Jays are usually pretty wary. Well done on taking it to Stapely Grange - your last good deed.perhaps. Let us know the outcome.
    You are going to miss these close encounters of the bird kind when you move. Not long now.
  • Well done for spotting it was ill and doing something about it. Let's hope they are able to treat it and it does well.
  • Sorry to hear this very sad news aitch, you couldn't have done more given the difficulties in getting more urgent help!
  • So sorry to hear about the poor Jay's demise. You did all you could but please don't torment yourself as to whether it was the right thing to do.
    I think that some of these large organisations like the RSPCA get so big that bureaucracy gets in the way and they can't cope.
    I don't see any reason that you need to delete this thread. Your choice of course but as Hazel says it's a tribute to the lovely Jay and demonstrates how you care. Let's hope there's a better outcome to Max's efforts to save the Swift.
  • A real shame about the Jay. However, I remember hearing from somewhere that if you can tell a wild animal is ill then there is a good possibility it is already too late, as by necessity they are experts at hiding any weakness, or they simply get predated before you find them. However, it is perfectly natural to be hopeful and to want the best outcome. Whatever the outcome, you tried so you definitely shouldn't think you did anything wrong.
    I wouldn't want to comment on any specific experience but I doubt if anyone works or volunteers in these places who doesn't genuinely care about the animals so if you didn't like what happened then it might be best to either ask them to explain or offer constructive feedback. Maybe they'll realise they can't keep up and change how they use the computer records accordingly.
  • As with everything else you and Mike have done in the garden Hazy you have always done your best and must have no regrets. Can't read what happened as you have deleted, but can guess that the care wasn't up to scratch, but would the bird have been aware of what was happening anyway, probably not by then, and it at least had been well cared and fed before you took it to a centre. So remember.........as everyone is saying, you tried and did your very best.