A visit to Gosforth Park Nature Reserve.

Yesterday I visited Gosforth Park Nature Reserve for the afternoon.

Little Grebe

Common Tern with different sized juveniles 

Little Grebe

Little grebe out of the water with Mallards

Male Mute Swan bathing and being buzzed

Little Grebe with snack

Juvenile Common Tern

Swallow drinking

Grey Heron

Common Tern

Juvenile Common Tern

Sedge warbler

Reed Warbler

Common Tern

Little Grebe

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Stunning photos Bob, love the Little Grebe, indicates the size of it when it stands next to the Mallard. Of course the Terns in flight are fabulous, I did try for same on Sunday and failed miserably:-) The fence post youngster looks very unsure out of it's depth:-) the warblers good to see too.

Lot to learn

• Nice collection. I haven't managed to get close to a Tern in-flight yet this year.

Nige   Flickr

• Looks a lovely area Bob with lots of wonderful species; do they carry out ringing sessions around there - with seeing both the warblers wearing jewellery ! Love the Tern in flight with the sand eel ?

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    Looks a lovely area Bob with lots of wonderful species; do they carry out ringing sessions around there - with seeing both the warblers wearing jewellery ! Love the Tern in flight with the sand eel ?

To be honest i have no idea whether they carry out ringing sessions or not. As you suggest, it looks like they do. I have never seen any advertised so hopefully they carry them out as ringing exercises without turning them into a public show as they do at some reserves - the quicker the birds are released the better as far as i am concerned and I wouldn't attend a session. 

Those Terns are doing an approximate 20 mile return journey to the coast for each of those Sand  Eels

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Great shots Bob, often thought about joining that reserve, but never got round to it yet.

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• In reply to turboman:

turboman said:
    Great shots Bob, often thought about joining that reserve, but never got round to it yet.

It is quite a good reserve, though I don't get there as often as I might like. I believe the day licence has gone up to £5 so you don't have to visit many times to save money.That said, being a member there doesn't get you in anywhere else. However the only viable RSPB site in reach is Saltholme and that's a 45 mile drive each way for me - so paying the £5 car park charge there and the membership to Gosforth Park makes more sense.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Superb photos Bob, particularly the ones with the fish in the beaks.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler