Sunshine & Choughed

We went out to the UKs most westerly point, Cape Cornwall on Wed in the hope of spotting some wildlife of interest.

Started with a Wren singing its socks off......

Then thought we had a Crow.. 

Further round the headland we were treated to the best sightings ever of up to 4 Choughs.

This one is a male fledged in 2011 from a nest in west Penrith, he and his mate have young who have not yet fledged and are apparently ringed in the nest. 

This is his mate, the next two are fledged  juveniles from another nest.

Afraid the gulls and LBJ's didn't get a lookin watching these 4 Choughs for about an hour.

• Cheers Mike, we've seen them at 4 sites around the uk over the past few years, twice now this year on Jersey and now Cape Cornwall. There are at least 2/3 sites around Cornwall where they are successfully breeding. I reported our sightings to the Cornwall Chough Monitoring Group who gave me the info on the ringed male.
  • Tony T said:
    Cheers Mike, we've seen them at 4 sites around the uk over the past few years, twice now this year on Jersey and now Cape Cornwall. There are at least 2/3 sites around Cornwall where they are successfully breeding. I reported our sightings to the Cornwall Chough Monitoring Group who gave me the info on the ringed male.

I think Cornwall was where the choughs first became re-established in the UK.

I bet that was interesting to view the info on the male chough.