2 kilos of live mealworms and still running out !

• There is, of course, then a knock on effect. Food supply is a limiting factor for bird populations. One of the biggest, along with habitat. Most corvids, even jays, are reasonably flexible with habitat. If a population is booming and well fed in an area, they will spread out. How does that impact elsewhere, if at all? As nature pgms have shown, some species attack members of their own species, esp chicks and nests. Do jackdaws, for example, keep their own numbers down, by having so many attracted to such a small area?

Re bird feeding principle, I would definitely take 'expert' opinion (even from those on commission and on TV) over mine. I'm just very dubious about it being a clear benefit, scientifically proven to help bird populations (unless specifically targeted at vulnerable species in specific conditions), and even Winter feeding troubles me to some extent even though I do it.

GSW population is booming. This is partly to do with supplementary Winter feeding imo. How does their increased population affect more vulnerable, less generalised species?
  • I suppose one positive thing about feeding our garden birds is that it has given me more chance to study them and their behaviour which has been fascinating on occasion as I learn more about them. I don't know where the term "bird-brain" came from as an insult to someone but I'd take it as a compliment when I see how clever birds really are - most of the time !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again"