A Nuthatch "sunning"

Happened to be near the feeding log with camera when one of the Nuthatches came to take some live mealworms and then returned to do a spot of sunning  !   First time I've ever seen a Nuthatch doing this so was thrilled it decided to spread it's wings and tail out right in front of me and work that preening gland  !    

This is when it was first getting settled in before taking up the full sunning position ...............

and then plonked itself down and spread out like a flattened pancake    lol

taken out that annoying piece of foliage ! ...............

then a couple more pics later - this is the female I think judging by the ruffled breast feathers, maybe the same bird 

males tend to have more tan or rusty colour on their flank

in need of a preen ..............

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Fabulous photos Hazy, & pleased to find one of your posts in this muddle of a forum! Funnily enough our chickens used to look like that when having a dust bath. Mybe sun baths & dust baths are equally good. Living in a shower only house, maybe I should try it in the garden! LOL
    I wish we got Nuthatches too!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Lovely pics aitch ... was watching my Spadgers enjoying a dust bath today, dear little souls! Still never seen a Nuthatch for real!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• They do love to sun themselves, mind you so have I this past few days!! Not flat out like a pancake though!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• How fantastic Hazel! Wonderful photos.

Regards, AnnaB

https://thesebootsrmade4walkin.blogspot.co.uk/

• Can't blame Nutty taking advantage of this afternoon's sunshine, gorgeous photos Hazy. How to be totally relaxed, I think we could learn a lot from the birds:-)

Lot to learn

• Great set. Never seen a Nuthatch do that - probably relaxing after the youngster in your more recent post fledged!

Nige   Flickr

• Absolutely lovely, Hazel - we saw one at Lackford Lakes today, but only briefly. He was quite aggressive with any other birds coming to get "his" sunflower seeds. LOL. I love that shade of blue, and how it complements the buff... the makings of a fashion statement, I feel!
    Karen B Suffolk
  • Thanks all, it was certainly a rare sighting to see a Nuthatch sunning; I put it on Birdguides and they must have thought it so unusual they honoured me with being selected for photo of the week lol
    :@ Karen, they sure are feisty litte birds and the tit members back off the food if Nutty is around !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Your fab photos certainly deserve recognition Hazy! I agree about them being feisty, we saw 2 of them having a terrible fight on a campsite a few years ago, & it's stuck in my memory, it was very frightening.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France