RSPB Conwy 11 May 2019

Finally, I've managed to get away from work, hospitals, and family.

OK, I'll confess, this first photo isn't of birds or wildlife, it's our son competing against some of Britain's finest racing kayakers. One of the reasons why I've not been active recently, we've been out supporting him, with more competitions to come over the coming months.

He's still a long way to go, but is doing well and we're proud of him whatever.

Conwy Mountain (a mere hill at 244 mtrs asl) looking splendid as ever, and I've spent many hours up there.

Moving on and more inline with what I should be posting.

Recently, 11th May, I managed to make the escape to RSPB Conwy, which was quiet by many standards, but not dishearteningly. Nature has it's own agenda, the tide was out, so feeding most likely was better elsewhere.

However, I don't mind a reserve being quiet, it means I just have to look that bit harder and seek more out, but sometimes, quiet delivers unique opportunities, and this visit was one such.

One of a pair of robins constantly flying on and off this rail on a bridge across a pond.

A busy bee, gathering wood, turning it in to pulp either for nest building or repair. Note the orange train in front of its mouth, that is where the wood surface has been gnawed away.

At the Vardre Viewing Screen, one of the many Carneddau Ponies that live on the reserve. The Carneddau Ponies are used to help control the vegetation and scrub in as near a natural way as possible, and of course, always make pleasant viewing.

Just around the corner, a few more Carneddau Ponies.

Even the mudflats on the Conwy Estuary were quiet!

Now the excitement comes, a hungry heron having a good feed

SEEK

GRAB

SWALLOW

GULP = GONE

And again.

Seek

Grab

Oops, it slipped!

Gone!

Where did that get to?

Oh well, if it's gonna be like that, time to move on....

Little Grebe youngsters

By now the tide as starting to come in, and the mudflats were very slowly starting to get busy, with a sole black headed gull to start.

Mrs Blackbird gathering food.

The mountains down the Conwy Valley, (the two main peaks near Dolgarrog both I've walked up Moel Eilio L and Pen Llithrig y Wrach 'the hill of the slippery witch' R) looking fine in the sun.

Sunbathing flies on a fence post.

And finally, a peacock butterfly I think.

All in all, an enjoyable day, nature (not just birds, but horses/ponies, landscape and insects to mention a few) was there, it just required a little patience and understanding.

Remember, nature has its own agenda, its not there to be on display for all to see, but its always nice when its around for us to see.

• Congrats to your son on his Kayaking skill and competition work, he looks very comfortable in the Kayak and going pretty fast in that photo ! so good luck to him for the future.
    Lovely wildlife photos too and despite the lack of activity at Conwy it's always nice, as you say, to get out and have a wander around. You still managed to come up with a good thread and photos so thanks.
  • Lovely to see Conway inhabitants looking splendid in the sunshine. Good to see your son enjoying himself in the Kayaking competition and good luck for the next event. Don't know about "walking" up the two Conway mountains, I would say it would have been at least a stiff climb Mike, for me anyway!!!
  • Unknown said:
    Congrats to your son on his Kayaking skill and competition work, he looks very comfortable in the Kayak and going pretty fast in that photo ! so good luck to him for the future.
    Lovely wildlife photos too and despite the lack of activity at Conwy it's always nice, as you say, to get out and have a wander around. You still managed to come up with a good thread and photos so thanks.

Thank you Hazel, both on our son's progress, and also the Conwy photos.

• gaynorsl said:
    Lovely to see Conway inhabitants looking splendid in the sunshine. Good to see your son enjoying himself in the Kayaking competition and good luck for the next event. Don't know about "walking" up the two Conway mountains, I would say it would have been at least a stiff climb Mike, for me anyway!!!

Thank you Gaynor, both on the progress of our son and also the Conwy photos.