Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2019

• edit...I didn't name it but had it as a Common Darter but Graham says it could be a Ruddy Darter...any ideas?

My Flickr photos

• Sorry Alan, can't help you... and not sure this pic should be in this thread as it's an appreciation of the finer form.... but it does feature a dazzling damsel!

• Some less.... "lunchy"... ones

Not sure what they are, other than last one probably a common blue? and a red eyed damsel first up?

• In reply to Alan.:

PimperneBloke

Nice photo of the spider with the damsel.

Alan. said:
    edit...I didn't name it but had it as a Common Darter but Graham says it could be a Ruddy Darter...any ideas?

I think this one is confusing if you look at the colours as it isn't mature and not as red as Ruddy's get, but Commons have pale yellow stripes on the legs. This hasn't so for my money it is almost certainly a Ruddy Darter

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

Good photos

PimperneBloke said:
    Not sure what they are, other than last one probably a common blue? and a red eyed damsel first up?

1 Red-eyed (as you say)

2 & 3 Common Darter (yours has the leg stripes that Alan's does not have)

4 Blue-tailed Damsel

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Alan.:

Alan. said:
    .I didn't name it but had it as a Common Darter but Graham says it could be a Ruddy Darter...any ideas?

I agree with Graham that it looks like a Ruddy Darter. Very narrow waisted abdomen with a clubbed tip, all black legs (Common Darters usually have a yellowish stripe down the legs) and thick black line on segments 8 - 9. Also a hint of yellow at base of wings. 

Nice one. Apparently, they are expanding their range northward and westward.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Alan beat me to it with his photos, but these are the Ruddy Darters I got last week. It's an established colony so they are already up in the North West in Lancs, although this is one of the few local spots I know of where they are resident. I saw at least half-a-dozen of them but they were all yellow so probably recently emerged.

And a close-up as Darters don't seem to mind posing for photos, unlike most other dragons

I barely had to move to get another close-up, this time an Emerald Damsel - I love their metallic paint job

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Alan.:

Alan. said:
    Banded?

Yes

Nige   Flickr

• Cheers Nigel

My Flickr photos