Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2019

• Cheers Tony, one of the (many) things I'll be looking for this year is a photo of one that has caught a fly

Nige   Flickr

• Great pic Hazy and Nigel too, keep posting.

Lot to learn

• It was lovely to see not only the warm sunshine yesterday but a lot of damselflies on our pond;   I'm not great at remembering the name of species but these are common blue Azure Damselfly  (thanks Nige)   and a large red      

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• On a recent visit to Middleton Lakes, a common blue, probably a female due to the lack of blue, though I'm only guessing. I'm happy for any guidance.

A banded damselfly.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    maybe these are common blue and a large red       - will leave it to Nigel as he's so good at IDing insects.

I've been offline for a few days so apologies if I have missed stuff. Very kind Hazy, although TJ is probably the house expert on Dragons. Having said that you have some nice photos of Azure Damsels (not Common Blues) and a Large Red.  

Mike, I think your Damsel is a Blue-tailed Damsel, where just segment 8 is blue (in the male).

Nige   Flickr

• @ Nigel, thanks so much, brilliant to know what the blue damsel is; thank goodness I got one right lol there maybe hope for me yet !! .

Regards, Hazel 

• This week has definitely brought on the Dragons, as I have now seen 5 species. Broad-bodied Chasers still outnumber everything else locally, like this male

I won't hazard a guess as to whether this is immature or female from this angle

And a pair of Azure Damsels egg-laying. I even managed to get both male and female in focus at the same time, which is easier said than done!

Nige   Flickr

• One of the 'specials' of Foulshaw Moss is the White-faced Darter. I think this is an immature male.

Nige   Flickr

• Nice find Nige, when we were there a couple of week ago there were hardly any dragonflies or damsels and no Adders despite the very warm sunshine !

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazy
    I went twice looking for adders and dragons. Although there weren't many of any Dragons, I did at least see a couple of their specials, and, on one day, 3 Ospreys (a vagrant and the nesting pair, one of which came over to politely see the spare one off), but no adders.

Nige   Flickr