My first Reed Warblers of the year

Last week I began to hear the odd Reed Warbler here and there, but just a very few individuals, one per site and I never saw any. Today the reedbeds were absolutely full of their song. 

Normally, it takes me several hours to get a photo, often over several attempts, but I walked past and there one was, just waiting for me to point a camera at it.

They might not yet be at full numbers but there were still plenty around, if most weren't quite as obliging as this one!

I know they are Little Brown Jobs and even more so than many, but I rather like them. It's a bit of a challenge to see one properly or get a half-decent photograph, but not so hard you despair of success!

So, that's Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Whitethroats and now Reed Warblers. That leaves just the Sedge, that I haven't seen (or heard) yet this year, at least of what I consider the common ones. I don't consider Garden, Wood and Grasshopper Warblers common let alone any of the others. I guess the Sedgies must be here somewhere if the Reeds have now arrived in numbers.

• Cracking photos Nigel and what a lovely little bird it is; think the best place I found them was by the dipping pond area at LM, same place as the Cetti's Warbler juvie that showed itself so well last year. Fingers crossed we see them again this year.
  • Thanks Hazy
    These are Pennington Reed Warblers - there are a couple of spots where you can get close and then it's just a matter of patience until one pops up. A Cetti's was calling continually while I took them but I couldn't see it for love nor money!
    Now I think about it, I haven't actually heard a Cetti's at the dipping pool this year, although I've heard lots elsewhere around the reserve. Still, if we get one to show as well as the youngster last year, that would be great.
  • What lovely photos Nigel, I must keep my eyes open for some if possible down at the local bog which leads into a pond, plenty of reeds so will be having a look when this weather improves again.
  • Thanks Gaynor
    Keep your ears open too, they have a weird 'song' so you'll know if they are in the reeds long before you see them. We even have a few in a city park as they seem to inhabit every reedbed so I hope you find them locally.