The Young of 2019

• Herring Gull chicks

My bird photos HERE

• Beautiful Alan.

Lot to learn

• Lovely photos Paul and Alan,  

look what I spotted lurking in the gloom this morning  :)    weather so wet and miserable I placed an extra sun-heart feeder out.   This is the earliest I have seen juvenile Bullfinches but we have two pairs and they breed every year.  

Sorry pics are so bad but the weather and light is positively awful  

It was waiting for Dad to collect and mush up a few sunflower hearts   …………….

update:   at least two young bullfinch so far.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Hazel, Shame about the conditions (apparently some places here in the south had the equivalent of two months of rain on Monday!) but it is still lovely to see the Bullfinches. We plan to plant a cherry tree which should bring in the Bullfinches, fingers crossed. We had a cherry tree in our previous place (and Bullfinches!) some years ago but it died of honey fungus. Unfortunately, we never worked out just which cherry it was so will need to do a bit of research before the autumn. We are open for suggestions about which cherry trees are most attractive to birds!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    We are open for suggestions about which cherry trees are most attractive to birds!

This will give you a few ideas Ann.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Nice to see the young Bully's - not seen any yet this year and you know how many there are at Pennington!

Although Lunt Meadows is several miles from the coast, they have several Avocet chicks this year - I counted 11 at the weekend. This was one of the larger ones

Also some Little Ringed Plover chicks

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely additions Nige, fancy seeing Avocet chicks at Lunt, would never have thought they'd be there ! It is so wonderful to see all the new bird life. Our garden is having a baby boom at the moment !

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks, Hazel. The cherry which died did have small white flowers like the Bird Cherry in your link to the Woodland Trust but its cherries were red, not blackish, so perhaps it was something other than Bird Cherry. Its summer leaves were green while the autumn leaves were a mix of salmon pink and slightly orangey. In addition to Bullfinches, the cherries were loved by Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons. It was amusing to watch the Blackbirds (once the cherries on the sturdier branches had been eaten) launch themselves from the lawn beside the tree up toward the smaller outer twigs, grab a cherry and land back on the lawn, only to do it all over again and again and again. We'll probably also consult the RHS and possibly our most local Wildlife Trusts--Surrey and Hampshire. The lawn will be much smaller once we have planted everything we hope to plant!

Kind regards, 

Ann