The Young of 2019

Yes, it's already that time of year when the little ones start to pop up. Anyone can add photos or stories regarding this years young.

(I don't think anyone else has already started this for 2019 but let me know if there is one somewhere that I missed) 

Last year's thread is HERE 

At Marshside yesterday I was surprised to see a couple of young Mallards with mum and dad but then today I saw another Mallard mum trying to herd 7 little ones who were doing a fine impression of random particles, heading in every direction as fast as they could possibly go. I suspected disaster when they passed in striking distance of a fishing Heron, but Mum put herself noisily in the way at the last moment and the Heron didn't try to get past her.

• On a recent visit to RSPB Middleton Lakes, the following young were seen.

Coot

The goslings....

Gadwall

• We visited Symonds Yat Rock today in hopes of seeing the Peregrines which have nested there for some time, only to be told that a pair of Canada Geese won the argument with the Peregrines for the nest hole in the near-vertical cliff face. The Geese have chicks. Another visitor was concerned that the goslings might come to harm when they leave the nest, but of course they are covered in fluff so might just bounce off vegetation on the way down! The Peregrines have moved house and are nesting on another cliff face, out of view by the public.
  • Lovely photos of the little ones, Bob--thanks! I think the Curlew wins the prize in the cuteness stakes!
    As for the story about the Peregrines, there is always the possibility that the volunteer had the story wrong, but sadly the part about there being no Peregrines nesting in the usual place is true. And there is a cautionary note on the boards near the loos asking that no climbing take place between two named cliff faces due to the nesting Peregrines. But the volunteer also told us that there are Peregrines nesting at a spot a bit farther down river, one for which you kindly gave us directions a few years ago! We're busy Thursday and Friday so we can't go there until the weekend, but hoping we'll see activity there. The main road along the river is closed for stabilisation work from just below Tintern Abbey to a junction only a short distance above Chepstow until roughly mid-summer--sorry, I've forgotten the date. Any word from your contacts about that, please? Was there a washout or is it simply precautionary work?
  • So excited to see no fewer than 8 baby long tailed tits - all huddled together on a branch at Lackford Lakes (near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk)

... and then there were 6!

PS how do I get my photos to display full width rather than about one third of the editor box width, please?

• She does look rather frazzled, it must be said!!
  • How absolutely fabulous Karen, what a lovely group photo - adorable !
  • Welcome to the world of Brex-tit  little one    !!!!!

• Bob, We heard another story today about the Peregrines at Symonds Yat Rock. A certain bird of prey person told us that the male, thought to be from that nest, had been shot last autumn and taken to the nearest bird of prey hospital where it died after 2 days. Both stories might be true, or not (who can say?) but it might involve a new male, perhaps. Hope we meet another volunteer on another day to hear the real (or another?) story. I still think if the Geese story is true that it would sound a bit more plausible if the Geese were Egyptian Geese, but again, just speculation.
  • Unknown said:

Welcome to the world of Brex-tit  little one    !!!!!

Brilliant photo Hazel.

It almost reminds me of the old cuckoo clock.....