The Young of 2019

• Fabulous photos folks.

I've seen the other thread, and as yet, I understand this to be the master thread, so here comes a little grebe from RSPB Conwy, during a recent visit.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Another to add,   our first juvenile in the garden .............a young GT  although it looks like if fledged a while back.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Paul A:

After sitting for two seasons unoccupied, my sparrow terrace has tenants: great tits. Too high up to see inside, but enthusiastic cheeping for several days now and parents to and fro with caterpillars.
    Anyway, the sparrows have been busy elsewhere as there are three or four youngsters chasing their parents up and down the garden begging to be fed.
    I thought I was going to have a robin nest in my ivy - they were coming and going with nest material - but a local cat started climbing up to take a look and they moved on. Probably just as well.
  • In reply to Mike B:

That is an adult in breeding plumage isn't it?

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• I'm as sure as I can be that this is a juvenile Nuthatch ...................   I'm going on last year's fledgling photos with very clean plumage, lighter buff, greyer rather than black supercilium and clean, neat white throat area   !     

we have two pair of nuthatches that breed each year.  

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• It is a little stunner Hazy.

Lot to learn

• On a recent visit to RSPB Middleton Lakes, the following young were seen.

Coot

The goslings....

Gadwall

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• We visited Symonds Yat Rock today in hopes of seeing the Peregrines which have nested there for some time, only to be told that a pair of Canada Geese won the argument with the Peregrines for the nest hole in the near-vertical cliff face. The Geese have chicks. Another visitor was concerned that the goslings might come to harm when they leave the nest, but of course they are covered in fluff so might just bounce off vegetation on the way down! The Peregrines have moved house and are nesting on another cliff face, out of view by the public.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    We visited Symonds Yat Rock today in hopes of seeing the Peregrines which have nested there for some time, only to be told that a pair of Canada Geese won the argument with the Peregrines for the nest hole in the near-vertical cliff face. The Geese have chicks. Another visitor was concerned that the goslings might come to harm when they leave the nest, but of course they are covered in fluff so might just bounce off vegetation on the way down! The Peregrines have moved house and are nesting on another cliff face, out of view by the public.

Wow, what a stunner! I am still in touch with people from Gloucestershire and none of them had mentioned that fact. I wonder if it's not actually being broadcast in order that tourists won't be put off. There are some breeding on Tewkesbury abbey as well as the Cheltenham ones. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/