Pick & Mix from Burton Mere rspb.

1st day of proper spring and the weather forecast was better than reported so we were overdresssed with sweater and fleece;   could have gone round in a T-shirt today  !     There were plenty of species on offer and even three views of Cetti's Warblers, however, very difficult to get on camera when they only stay for seconds and much of the time hidden amongst the twigs and reeds.     I did get eyes on one for around 20 seconds but decided to enjoy the view of this Cetti's with binoculars rather than risk missing it by fiddling with camera settings.    There were quite a few Reed Buntings and a few lucky people saw a pair of Bearded Tits by Marsh Covert hide  (these Beardies arrived last October for the first time at Burton Mere wetlands and it appears that they have stayed).     Someone else saw a Merlin fly over but it was long gone by the time we tried to lock on to it.      There are now 71+ Avocets, most in front of main reception.    There were Shovelers, Wigeon, Gadwall, Tufted Ducks,  L.Egret and Lapwings.     Chiffchaffs were singing their name,  Dunnocks were also in full song and Grey Herons were flying back and forth to nesting/roosting sites.   Two common Buzzards were in the air along with many Black-headed gulls making use of the warm air and diving down to the surface of the pools to grab insects.     You felt like spring had finally sprung and although I didn't bother taking many photos this time I did get a few Heron and Buzzard shots and a few others........

I really like photographing Grey Herons,   they are lovely to watch in flight ..........

Common Buzzard ....

and a metal bird that may be in danger of becoming extinct if Airbus and Brexit has anything to do with it  ......... 

these carry the wings and spare parts for the A380

Dunnocks were singing everywhere

Several Reed Buntings around the reserve

More Reed Buntings in the reed beds ....

There were also Linnets, Chiffchaffs although I could only get a record shot of a Chiffchaff and this distant shot of a Linnet

Blue Tits were eager to get nesting ...........

this Blue Tit found a lovely nesting hole in a tree trunk  (you can see it on the left)    

There were plenty of insects too;     here is a Peacock Butterfly 

and a Brimstone Butterfly

and a few paddle steamers on one of the meres ....................

• Lovely selection Hazel. You had a nice day out.
  • You chose the right day to go out Hazy, lovely shots of the Heron and the Reed Warbler in those reeds is very atmospheric. Great to see the blue sky and feel the sun at last, though today the wind here was cold.
  • An excellent collection and sounds like there was plenty about. The Cetti's seem to be showing well there this year - I've seen a couple, too, albeit briefly. The Beardies spread really well last year, springing up at a number of places in the NW. Hopefully they'll breed and permanently colonise a few new sites, like Burton Mere.
    I may still do the last of the season's Spring tides at Parkgate in the coming days.
  • Thanks all, it was amazingly warm weather with a mix of both blue and cloudy sky and hit 19 degrees on the car thermometer !
    @ Nigel, apparently, according to another regular visitor .. there are 6 beardies at BMW and with them staying 6 months so far it is looking promising for them to stay long-term and colonise, fingers crossed we get more Beardies around the NW and beyond. Re Parkgate, an rspb lady told me that when she walked her dog last night around 5.00pm onwards, she saw a Short-eared Owl, a Barn Owl and a Hen Harrier near Bath House car park so let me know if you go and Mike and I will try get there too :) I guess the shorties will be leaving next month so would be nice to see them again.
  • Lovely selection, Hazel, your Heron shots are beautiful. I haven't heard any Chiffchaffs up here yet, perhaps this weekend when I'm out and about. :-)
  • Looks like you had better weather than we did down south, Hazel. Although it was mild we had heavy grey cloud all day.
    Lovely set of photos. All the birds are looking so smart in their breeding plumage and it's so nice to hear all the birdsong at this time of year. I'm envious of your butterflies. I still haven't seen one this year even when we had that mini heatwave in Feb