Your best 3 photos for the month of February 2019

It's that time again for your best three photos. Looking forwards to seeing them.

The best of January thread is Here for 2019

My three

• Alan, I'm not sure which thread you mean, I've looked at all my posts today and all the pictures have gone with just an odd symbol left. I really don't know what to do
  • @ Tony, your pictures are showing now and I did not know you were linking to your flickr account so if it goes down so do your pictures till it come back on line that why I upload mine from the comp to here so no other site involved.
  • In defence of the forum, having used forums in the past, I've found uploading from an online source (Google Photos, Photobucket and Flickr) to be iffy at the best of times, so I prefer to upload the photo(s) from my PC.
  • Jim I had no idea that if Flickr went down my pictures disappeared, thats are real pain in the .... When I look at most of my photo sizes they are about 6/10mb even with some cropping so I use Flickr to resize and upload. I now need to find another solution somehow.
  • Tony T said:
    Jim I had no idea that if Flickr went down my pictures disappeared, thats are real pain in the .... When I look at most of my photo sizes they are about 6/10mb even with some cropping so I use Flickr to resize and upload. I now need to find another solution somehow.

Tony, I think you use a Canon DSLR, if so and you take in RAW, then Canon's own program could be worth considering.

If you're using jpg, there are plenty out there to use, Photo Gallery is one which Alan mentions, I use Adobe Photoshop (an old version, it suits me, non of that highfalutinated social media extras, a proper photo editor of old), though I think it has been replaced with Adobe Lightbox or something like that.

Resizing is quick and easy, and I usually drop mine down to 1024x683 (full frame 3:2 35mm ratio), though you can use other presets to select 5x5, 16x9 or chose your own ratios.

Another plus with Photoshop, it retains all the photo file detail, ie date & time taken, camera, lens, focal length, shutter speed, exposure and more.

• Alan, I use a MacBook and the only program I've currently got is the inbuilt Apple photos which allows you to enhance and crop but cropping os not the answer. I will have to look into another photo program. We used to be PC and use windows photo gallery but went Mac a year ago. What I have done is reduce my cameras pics from 20mp down to 10mp to see if that reduces the file size. Took some pics today of yellow wag & mandarin duck so will try to load and see what happens.
    Thanks for you help.
  • Mike thanks for your feedback, being Mac Photo Gallery won't work and I don't have Photoshop. I was using an old EOS20D but am currently using a little Panasonic TZ90, I've been thinking of getting my Canon out but I only have an old 100mm-400mm MK1 lens and the little TZ90 has a zoom up to 800mm but it does loose a lot of clarity. I think it might have to be a new scope or new secondhand canon & lens, some thinking & sums to do, in the men time I need to find a better way to resize on my MacBook.
    Thanks
  • Tony T said:
    Mike thanks for your feedback, being Mac Photo Gallery won't work and I don't have Photoshop. I was using an old EOS20D but am currently using a little Panasonic TZ90, I've been thinking of getting my Canon out but I only have an old 100mm-400mm MK1 lens and the little TZ90 has a zoom up to 800mm but it does loose a lot of clarity. I think it might have to be a new scope or new secondhand canon & lens, some thinking & sums to do, in the men time I need to find a better way to resize on my MacBook.
    Thanks

Alan, you're welcome.

I'll add like Bob, I too only reduce the size as a final editing stage and not any sooner, especially as Bob says, with wildlife you often have to crop to make the most of the subject.