G.C.Grebes & Little Grebe

Without the use of the rich formatting button I don't know how to add photos to an exisiting thread so have to create a new thread to show you a few photos from today at L.Moss.  

The G.C.Grebes are beginning their courtship although no sign of the weed dance yet,    just a lot of head-shaking going on   lol     but beautiful to see the bond between these birds.

Love is in the air for these two :)

and a cute Little Grebe,  one of a pair

• Thanks Bob, seems if I use the reply box under the original post I can click on rich formattting and it will work but if I use the reply box on latest post the rich formatting button does not work; hope they get the gremlins sorted, this is no fun !!
  • Many thanks Alan, I made the mistake by trying to reply via the last box and was too tired to work it all out LOL
    Weather here in Silverdale is fabulous and looks good for our week but haiving to eek out the camera use as "somebody" forgot to bring the battery charger LOL ........ btw, I'm not in charge of packing cables and plugs lol
  • I have three spare batteries as I've brought both cameras with me which should be enough but good idea of yours to ask at VC should I run out of energy LOL To be honest, I'm not taking the camera with me every time as it's too tiring to lug around all day. We're just enjoying our walks round the reserve and trying to recharge our own batteries ! The birds are almost a month ahead with their courtship, singing ramped up and all in breeding mode. Apparently Bearded Tits nest early and eggs have been seen as early as February so not sure if it will be the same this year. The robins were all pre-occupied with territory and courtship and one pot of mealies lasted all day !
  • Glad the weather is so nice and sunny for you, Hazel,. It makes it all the more pleasurable in such a lovely reserve as LM.
    I love watching GC Grebes do their courtship displays. Like you I've haven't caught them doing the weed dance. Do Little Grebes do something similar? They are not common on my patch so I haven't seen a pair together..
  • Very nice captures Hazel, which hide were the Grebe's .
  • Thanks Tony and Jim,

Unknown said:
    Do Little Grebes do something similar?

As far as I know Tony the Little Grebes don't do the same courtship display or weed dance as the GCG  as I remember asking the same question to one of my Woolston birding friends.    I don't think it will be long before the GCG start diving down for that weed bouquet  !!   

@ Jim,   all grebes were seen from Public (Causeway) hide.

• Very nice photos.
    Interesting that one of the GCG's hasn't even got into full summer colour yet, but is already head-shaking. I think some of the local ones have even been spotted doing the weed dance so keep an eye out.
    Shame about the charger. I'm sure Jim will have one :)
  • Lovely set of photos Hazy, saw a few GCG's today at the Spinnies, too far out on the Straits for a photo but had a look through a scope for a good view. Gorgeous L Grebes, such lovely birds.
  • Gorgeous photos of the Grebes, Hazel--thanks! Reminds me that we must get out to see the GC Grebes at Frensham Little Pond. I'd love to see a time-lapse video covering millions of years showing how that curious courting behaviour developed!