Close encounter of the Buzzard kind

Beautiful and mild day so took a drive to our local park;    as it turned out this was a good decision or we would have missed this Common Buzzard digging for a worm on the ground and then perching beautifully for us on a branch not far back from the drive.     I rolled my passenger window down, rested the camera on the door frame and clicked away   !!     Took over 300 photos of this obliging raptor so forgive me if I get carried away posting up   lol       not often I get within metres of such a magnificent bird of prey.

First view was when it was on the grass ..........

then it took off and landed opposite where we stopped the car perching on a branch

then the views just got better and better so we just breathed in the excitement, watching this beautiful animal.....

time for a quick manicure ..............

and then relieving itself ....................  you just know when they lift that tail higher and higher ....................

that this is about to happen so take cover    lol

and I better end with these last two pics ...........  or I'll carry on forever showing you buzzard shots  lol

• I think most of us understand the urge to take lots of photos when the opportunity presents itself. It's not often a Buzzard will sit and pose so nicely and you got some excellent shots but if I pick one it would be the one just taking off.
    PS I wonder why so many birds do such high pressure projectile poops???
  • Brilliant set hazel, not really taken any good Buzzard shots, and certainly not seen one this close, envious hardly begins to describe it :-)
  • Fabulous shots Hazy, do you think it was a 1st year? I wonder what it had been eating to Pooh like that! Worms!

• Terrific shots, Hazel. Cars can be good hides.sometimes
  • Thanks all, we almost never ever drive in to our local park so it was a lucky break and worth the £7 parking fee ! Credit goes to Mike for spotting it as he drove through the park and the car did prove to be a good hide as Tony says. @ Hazel, I'm no expert but did think the same thing and thought this was a 1st year bird; not absolutely sure but think I read that juveniles don't have the end black tail-band - but will leave it to the experts to decide.
    I forgot that I took a few quick clips; even though I was resting on the car window it is a bit wobbly and not very professional as I wasn't able to "stablisise" in post edit via YTube. I also added music but it only went on the first clip so treat this video as record clips LOL

post edit: seems the use rich formatting isn't working so you'll have to use this link:
    https://youtu.be/F0TDbLqE5oI
  • Wow when you said you had a few nice pictures you meant it they are some of the best I have seen Hazel, very happy for you sadly none from me today but there are other day.
  • Beautiful Hazel, what a special moment for you, I especially love the second last photo, although are lovely.
  • Thanks Jim and Catlady,

James G said:
    sadly none from me today

Was rotten luck with the car Jim and sorrry you missed your second day's birding but glad you got back safe and sound and hopefully nothing too serious or expensive to fix so you can get back up to LM again soon.     

• Just wonderful shots Hazy, when you get as close as that you realise how big this bird is, and as your last couple of shots showed the Buzzard is an awe inspiring bird.
  • Thanks Gaynor, this kept reminding me of your garden Buzzard at the time and what great close ups and photos you got of it - never thought I'd see one as close as yours but being in the car did help provide an excellent hide area !