Beautiful Butterflies 2019

• At long last an influx of Peacock butterflies since yesterday ... obviouslyloving the heatwave (a great deal more than I am!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I hear there are millions of Painted Lady butterflies heading your way. Yes, heatwave is a bit much. It didn't go below 25°C last night so couldn't cool the house down & it's over 40 in the shade today. We've got most of the shutters closed & a fan on (just moves the hot air around).

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• I just heard that Bordeaux had reached its'ever highest temperature. Phew. My external electronic thermometer says 38 C but I'm sure that's an exaggeration. Like you, Hazel, I've got all the windows, doors, blinds and curtains closed but it's still 30 C inside at the back of the house and about 27 C in the cooler north side away from the sun.
    I'm looking forward to the Painted Lady invasion, I remember the one in 2009 (I think it was) but that was much earlier in May. They covered my Spirea which was in bloom at the time.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Certainly is a bit much, am in front of a fan as I type ... do hope we get lots of Painted Ladies here to take advantage of my bee/butterfly planting this year!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Common Blue male

Small Skipper?

And another.

My bird photos HERE

• I don't think the orange is bright enough for Small Skipper, Paul. The underside doesn't look right either. It could be an even smaller Lulworth Skipper, have a look at the odd lines on the edge of the top front wing & compare to the photos here www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl . Any other photos showing more of the topside? Interesting anyway!

EDIT : Just shows what I know, Lulworth is as far North as it gets, so must be Small Skipper, past it's first flush of youth!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:
    past it's first flush of youth!

Been there....!!   :-)

My bird photos HERE

• I'm still waiting for Painted Ladies to appear despite having a Buddleia in full bloom. 

Too hot to go out butterfly hunting but had a few others in the garden recently.

A very tatty Marbled White

Common Blue also in the grass.

Gatekeeper

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Good to see your garden butterflies TJ, at least you can nip in out to see them. It's still too hot here too, I do my hunting at night with the moth trap!

Best wishes