Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

• Gaynor, Who knew that Native Americans (or should that be First Nation people or...?) had ukes in their Teepees?!--LOL!

• WendyBartter said:
    Super views tonight ... came very close a few times

We see them flying past the bedroom windows quite regular. Puddy-Tat actually brought one into the house a while back, gave Mrs A a bit of a shock. :-)

• Alright you lot!!!!! You might just have had a little sympathy with us all in the heat, yes even Anglesey had sun stroke today, and we were all slaving away keeping the holidaymakers amused (or something) while they ate their icecreams.
  • More Gatekeepers from today

and in company with a common soldier beetle 

Ringlets were also in abundance again .............   

• Went to three different locations today & saw Gatekeepers everywhere, even in my garden ... lovely little butterflies ... would you believe I went out without cam?
  • @ Wendy, I know what you mean, yesterday I set off for the shops to get a few bits and pieces and as soon as I got out down the drive there was a common buzzard on the (polo) ground and a hare running for its life !!
  • There certainly has been an influx of Painted Lady butterflies and lovely to see the photos Alan. We even had one in for the first time in the garden three or so week ago. Amazing to see the video via twitter, thanks for the link.
  • These are from a little while ago but I haven't had time to put them up.

A pair of Green-veined Whites. A shame one is half in shadow but they didn't stay long. How do they fly when coupled and one is back to front???

The same day and a pair of Gatekeepers are at it, too.

I was attracted to the fab colours of a backlit Brimstone

From distribution maps and that I have never seen any locally I had assumed Ringlets were absent from my area. Another local told me he had never seen one on this reserve until just a couple of years ago, but it seems they are moving in and establishing themselves, slowly filling in the hole on the map.

• Lovely pics everyone. ;Amazing amount of butterflies around today - here are a few from my garden and local fields

Lovely Gatekeeper

Small copper - a first for me

Speckled wood

Painted Lady

These two were tangoing for ages

just had to put up this beautiful one - not faded as some of them are now

Looks nicer on the larger screen, but I've done it now:-)

• Great variety Gaynor, lovely pics which blow up well! Not seeing as many my way yet although lots of lovely flowers ready for them!