Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

• Nice find, Hazel. A very pretty butterfly. I saw them in Normandy a couple of summers ago. All our butterflies are keeping their heads down with this cold wind. I think it's supposed to be turning warmer next week.
  • We have had loads of violets in the copse down the lane but I haven't spotted a butterfly anywhere near. It seems we are all suffering from the cold wind, maybe sometime soon it will start to really feel like Spring.
  • Nice one Hazel. I don't think they come over here, even in warmer weather.

WendyBartter said:
    That E/NE wind is so harsh!

You're not kidding. I seriously underestimated the windchill today. I nearly got frost bitten fingers taking photos in the wind without gloves. Out of wind, it wasn't too bad.

• It was too late in the season, last year, when I found I had some Green Hairstreaks living just a few miles away. I promised myself I'd get some shots this year and while I was out looking for cuckoos today (I failed to find any), I came across one who I eventually persuaded to pose … on the ground, unfortunately, meaning I had to lay down to get a decent shot!

I forgot how small they were, but one of my faves, just for the outrageous colour ... I mean bright green! 

Nothing else, like the numerous Orange Tips, Tortoiseshells or Red Admirals would settle.

• Beautiful photos of the Green Hairstreak, nice find Nigel. We had an Orange Tip in the garden the other day which settled briefly on the Erysimum flower but by the time I raced in and grabbed the camera it was off again, as was the Brimstone lol
  • Morning all

I managed to capture these two yesterday,but only with phone cam.

One unfortunately dead caught in the spiders web

This one was dead very pale white/Green.Had to get granddaughter to hold it open doh

• Lovley photos of the Green Hairstreak Nige, there seem to be more about this year & have seen quite a few. They fool you though because they look Grey when flying!
    Yours look like a Speckled wood & a Brimstone Kate, shame about the dead one but I suppose the spiders have to eat too!
  • Noisette said...."Yours look like a Speckled wood & a Brimstone Kate, shame about the dead one but I suppose the spiders have to eat too!"

Hi Noisette and Thank you.

Unfortunately as the overhang has a glass roof slanting down, all sorts of flying critters decide that would be a warm comfy place, but the spiders leave their traps as fast as I whoosh them away, sometimes I am able to save them , before they get caught,with a soft long spider brush, and then release them for another day, Doh!!!grandaughter gets so upset when she visits, and always checks the brushes are still on hand, bless

• Stunning photos of the Green Hairstreak, Nigel. I'm not sure where to find them round my way.

The sunshine and warmth certainly brought out the butterflies this weekend. I was in Gloucestershire and spent a while chasing around after them.

Orange-tips were out in force, mostly males.

Also the less colourful female

A nice fresh Speckled Wood. First I've seen this year but no doubt many more to follow.

Although I've been seeing Brimstones for a few weeks I've not managed to photograph one thus far. I found one behaving rather oddly. It was flitting through a hedge pausing briefly until I managed to capture one photo. It wasn't until I looked at the photo I realised what she was up to. She was depositing eggs just below emerging leaves on the hedge stems.

• Great captures Tony, We've had Orange Tip in the garden again this afternoon and Brimstone but they were constantly on the move. Interesting to see the Brimstone laying eggs, well captured on camera.