A Song and Dance

Over the weekend at Pennington, I was intrigued by this Dunnock,

He kept flicking his wing up, favouring the right wing

Then, he'd change perch and do it again

He moved all around, posturing and wing-flicking

Having worked up his audience (which was apparently just me!), he finally burst into song.

Showing off wasn't left to the songbirds either. This cock pheasant was having a go, too.

Unfortunately, he's the first pheasant to be seen on site for years, so he'll be lucky to attract any female attention, no matter how much he splays that tail.

Other sightings include a flock of Greenfinch (4f +1m)

I've hardly seen any winter thrushes at all this year, but I did flush 1 solitary Redwing

This female bullfinch was busy eating every leaf bud she could find, so given how many of these finches there are here it's a surprise any tree ever gets into leaf!

Have to include at least one wildfowl and this Little Grebe did pose nicely

Even a pair of Roe Deer popped up and gave quite good views, well one of them did. Before that one stood up, people were having real trouble spotting them in the trees

That's it for now.

• What a lovely set of photos Nigel, beautiful detail on the pretty dunnock plumage; perhaps it was its way of waving good morning to you lol. I've seen wood pigeons tilt and stick one wing up in the air whilst bathing ! Your dunnock doesn't look damp so can't be drying out the wings. Great to see the Redwing and other delightful birds too. Great shot of the Little Grebe and Roe deer to finish
  • A good bunch of photos Nige,wildlife certainly thinks Spring is in the air. We were lucky enough on Monday to get out to a local Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve and the sunshine was certainly inspiring the birds to burst into song. Among the species we saw were Brambling and Cettis Warbler two birds we usually struggle to get locally. It was a glorious day to be out and about watching birds and having a gentle walk. Certainly a bit different to the previous day when we were doing a survey late afternoon and with wind chill it was sub zero but still great to get out on our favourite bit of moorland with bright blue skies.
  • Thanks all
    As the Dunnock was flicking one wing, it did rather look like it had taken up semaphore Blush Lots of other birds had started to sing in the tree tops, too, like robins and song thrush.
    Hazy
    The warbler has been there for quite a while and I tried to catch it one day last week but apparently there weren't any confirmed sightings all week. Today's does look genuine from the photo, but some sightings are thought to have been over-wintering chiffchaffs because there are 4 known to be in exactly the same area. The whole area is a sewage treatment works, but the old settling pools were converted to nature reserve and fenced off from the still working part. If you are thinking of trying for it, let me know. I can tell you exactly where to look, … or possibly show you if I'm available! As it has reappeared I may have another go sometime, anyway. There is also a black redstart in the same spot (no, I didn't see that either Cry )
  • Aw well Percy the Pheasant can always keep trying, you never know. Nice photos Nige, all of them but love the Redwing.
  • Great photos Nigel, the dunnocks here aren't at the displaying stage yet but I have noticed them chasing each other around. It has been that cold here over the last two days I think they have all taken a step back now . Lovely to see the Greenies and also the Redwing and Bullfinch.
  • Thanks
    I think the warmer weather this week (for most of us) has spurred everyone on, although perhaps they will realise they are a bit early if the weather reverts to winter again.
  • Interesting that part of the sewage works is now a nature reserve,I worked for a number of years on the local water company mainly on the "clean water" side and even back then as the new technology took over the old beds became a great place for birds and usually we had the place to ourselves as it was on private land,suited an anti social beggar like me.