Lunt Meadows

I don't have a good track record photographing birds of prey. However, even I could manage to capture this one at Lunt Meadows when I went last week … and I suppose I'd be in trouble with a certain Kestrel enthusiast if I didn't put a couple up.

It was pretty fearless and just hung there for a ridiculously long time, maybe 15 minutes, only changing height but not position, despite several enthusiast photographers snapping it.

People jokingly suggested it must be the most photographed Kestrel in the Northwest as it has been seen regularly in the same spot for a long time now. I think they haven't gone far enough and it is probably the most photographed BIRD in the Northwest at the moment. Almost everyone I know has got photos of it.

Eventually it moved a bit … but it didn't go far.

I didn't see him catch any rats though, not even when he did come down.

Apart from the most photographed Kestrel in the NW, there were loads of Cormorants, but only one that I saw going into breeding plumage. If I remember correctly from previous discussions on here, to be getting its white head this early might suggest the Sinensis subspecies, but I haven't tried to check the angle. This is just a record shot (with a Common Gull in the background)

Drake Teal always look good in the sun

Now, my favourite bird is often the one in front of me, but if I really, really had to pick one, then Little Egrets would always make the shortlist and quite often be on top. One of the pleasures is to find one fishing in the sunshine, with blue water and nothing obscuring the view ...

I only wish they had a call more suited to their elegance!

In the reeds, it caught the biggest fish I've ever seen a Little Egret take. 

It was too big to swallow so it kept putting it down and then picking it up again and having another go. Perseverance eventually paid off but it looked pretty uncomfortable getting it down that long neck!

I wasn't able to stay very late so I didn't see any Shorties, but a long distance Marsh Harrier (f) did pop up every now and again.

• Fabulous Kestrel in flight Nige ... pleased to see I taught you well ... never overlook any Kestrel! Lol

Other pics pretty good too, LE very elegant except for the one with that fat neck full of fish!

• Fabulous photo captures Nigel,  how stunning the kestrel looks as he lands on the ground and like you, amazed how large that fish (perch ?) was for the L.Egret to get down as his neck has changed shape completely and his face in last pic has a look of surprise  lol !    

• Lovely captures of the beautiful Kestrel, I am sure that our Wendy will be pleased! Your other pictures are also lovely, that was some swallow to get that fish down!

• What a treat to see your lovely pics Nigel, I think we are all hooked on Kestrel  photos these days, I know whenever I see one I think of trying to get a pic for Wendy to peruse, so far no success but you have done us proud:-)   The beautiful L Egret sort of spoiled it's image with that full crop, looking slightly sick if you ask me!!

• Fabulous photos, Nigel--thanks for posting.  Wonderful to have the sun to highlight the Little Egret's pristine plumage against the blue water but 'eyes bigger than stomach' comes to mind.  At least the Egret will not be hungry for a while.  Love the bright eye and the concentration on the face of the Kestrel.

• Thanks all.

I think it was only my second photo session with a Kestrel in the past 3 years, so I had to make the most of it, but he did make it very easy for me by not being at all shy. And I've never known one to hover in the same place for so long. Luckily, I could get it against the scenery, instead of against the sky, which made the photos much better balanced. As for the Egret, even when it did get the fish down, it struggled to move it down its neck and you could see the bulge gradually descend, so I imagine it was genuinely uncomfortable. It flew off immediately after, presumably to sit quietly somewhere and digest for a few hours!  

Yes, Hazy, it the fish is a Perch (striped and with a prominent, spiny dorsal fin). Thinking about it, most of the bigger fish I've ever seen taken by birds are Perch: it must be because they hide in shallows waiting to ambush other fish and that's where most birds hunt.