Wildlife adventure ideas for children and families

• Hi Rob, I haven't as yet had a look at your YT channel, though I have seen some of the "Spy In The Wild" programs, and enjoyed watching them from the animals perspective.

Like you, I too raised our son with hopefully a nice mix of urban and country lifestyles.

The urban was to ensure he was able to stand up for himself in the world today, the outdoor to hopefully encourage respect for nature, and thankfully, I think as parents we hit the right mark.

However, modern society itself doesn't seem to lend to protecting wildlife and the countryside, and I'm going to have to tread carefully what I say, because I have very strong views.

What I will say is, and I've said it many times before, we need to stop building in the countryside, stop railroading projects through that desecrate the countryside, and it was a deliberate pun intended, because HS2 is doing just that, railroading its way through ANOB's, SSI's, ancient woodlands and many more.

It's not hip to be nature conscious today, which I feel is a very sad scenario, and as a result, a great many people are becoming extremely distanced from nature along with how and where our food is being produced. When I was a youngster, farms were reasonably close by, today, they are under houses and business parks. The nearest farm is five miles away, and soon to become victim to HS2.

The otherside of the proposed HS2 route is another large urban development. I dare not look at the map and see where the next farm will be, it's too sole destroying.

There used to be a reasonable program on BBC2 called "The World About Us", today, Sunday viewing apart from Countryfile, is dancing and singing.

Add to that, with the incessant desire to build, build, build, there is a lot of successful work on subterranean horticulture, using old bunkers and other underground bases, to grow plants under artificial conditions, using LED lighting with no requirement for insecticides.

Society is the key, and probably social media may be the best port of call, because today, a lot of people seem to relate to social media more than anything else. I could be wrong, but that is how I see it.

I was for a few years a cub scout assistant leader and later on a scout leader, and under controlled conditions as per Scout Association Guidelines, took the young people, many of whom have never been out of the urban environment apart from holidays at the seaside, at home or abroad if they were lucky enough, out in to the local countryside, spending time with them watching farm livestock and wild animals going about their business.

I was even able to explain what and how the various actions many animals did, mainly because I spent many years working on farms as a young person, something today which is very frowned upon.

I learned a lot from those farmers, who like me, had no degrees, what they knew was passed from father to son, and what a lot of valuable information was passed down the line.

So what I'm I saying?

It's not easy taking nature to the urban environment, even though it is already there for those with gardens or parks nearby, because folk today tend to have the noses stuck into their portable devices. The media seems to promote only money and politics, along with doom, which alienates a lot of people from what is really out there

However, there is hope, Scouting is still very popular, and probably a good place to start via the Scout Association and possibly local groups initially. there are Beaver, Cub Scout and Scout badges that will accommodate nature in one form or another.

I wish you luck, it's going to be an uphill climb because it's not about making money, which seems to all today is about, not the environment.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Thank you for your excellent and constructive comments Mike, they are very much appreciated and I shall hold them in good stead when pushing and developing future ideas. 

At the moment I am shooting an array of closer-to-home style videos on my own and with my kids about the wildlife immediately around where we live and how we can interact with it and bring it closer to our lives. The audience is growing, and the more I can reach out and get more feedback on what to do and not to do the more it shall continue to grow I hope.

Thats why I wrote the original post, to start a conversation and start getting some ideas and desires flowing- what people would like to see and then I can get the ball rolling and make something happen.

Cheers for your positive comments

Rob 

• In reply to Rob Pilley:

You're welcome Rob, and good luck.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler