Middleton Lakes; first visit of the year 2019

Mrs PR had to go to work Sat 5th Jan, and wanted to go shopping, which had to be done Sun 6th, which I'd pencilled in for a visit to Middleton Lakes. So a change to plans had to be implemented, nothing major, just go a day earlier, simples.....

It was cloudy, raw with the temp topping 6.6ºC and not a lot of wildlife about. They probably had more sense than myself and those wandering around, but hey-ho, off we go.

So here is a few photos from my first visit to Middleton Lakes for 2019.

A heron that has claimed a nest for 2019

A nosey nuthatch

Tufted Duck

Juvenile Great Crested Grebe

A plucky cock pheasant

The full content, a total of 20 photos for the day, can viewed in my RSPB Middleton Lakes Album

• Even if it's grey and cold and it seems there's not a lot about, it is still sometimes nice to just be out looking and watching the Grebes, Tufties and everything else go about their business … and male Pheasants can brighten up just about anything.

• It's very rare I let the weather hold me back, life goes on, and in my hillwalking days, unless it was really bad and stupid to go out.

I trained to go proper winter mountaineering, using ice axe and crampons, and in my pack would be a snow shovel, so if I had to, I could dig a snow hole for overnight survival.

I have a weatherproof compact (when I first had it, it was dunked in the bath for an hour to test the claims, and it worked), and all my gear was well and truly weatherproof, it needed to be when out on the hills and moors.

While those days are gone, I still aim to get out as much as possible, even cold (a good excuse to wear those winter clothes for warmth under more conservative jackets to blend in) and dull days I'll still get out and about, and if nothing else, just enjoy being outside, and as you rightly say, nature still goes about its business.

Those plucky pheasants seem to be more active  during the winter months, or is it just me?

• Water up a waterfall?  Blown by the wind?  I once dreamt about water flowing up and over the side of a stream and I wasn't even under the influence of any substance, just a creative dreamer--lol!

• Yep, exactly that, the wind coming up from the south west over the River Kinder, which supplies the Kinder Reservoir near Hayfield in the Dark Peak, pushing the water up Kinder Downfall.

See the YouTube vid uploaded to my outdoor acc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrjQ3ZiH3ew