Mostly Moths 2019

• Amazing moth and photos Nige, well spotted.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• New one for me...

My Flickr photos

• Good to see you back Alan (missed you!) & looks like you've got the same one as Nigel. Their antennae are certainly impressive!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Thanks Hazel I posted that from my phone while I was out this morning so didn't look back at Nigel's, I've had it ID by the Moth people on Twitter as a Green Longhorn so Nigel was correct..I didn't realise it was a Moth too

My Flickr photos

• Pupa brought over by neighbour who dug it up a few weeks back whilst gardening emerged overnight ... lovely Large Yellow Underwing which obligingly flew & landed on another neighbours gravel with it's underskirts on display!

Another bonus was finding this Common Swift on house wall

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well done Wendy. I had a caterpillar back in April on my Rose bush that I raised & amazingly turned into a Pupa & hatched out a couple of days ago. It turned out to be a Garden Rose Tortrix which I suppose is what you'd expect, this is the caterpillar on the rose leaf 11 April

then still growing on 23 April

It disappeared into a rolled up leaf & came out like this

Final photo taken after transfer onto Rose leaf in the garden. Lets hope the Tits didn't eat it straight away!

Best wishes

• Great stuff H, I still find it most exciting wondering what will emerge when pupa is unknown ... still waiting for Elephant HM & possible Privet HM to break out, maybe I'm a bit optimistic bringing them in from shed already, could be another month yet!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

I've had the Elephant HM already & Privet won't be long either, so fingers crossed for you.

Best wishes

• Another neighbour came bearing gift today in the form of Lesser Yellow Underwing caterpillar which is close to full pupation size of 40mm ... newest incumbent in pot on my dining table!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Will you have to put some soil in the pot Wendy or do they manage to pupate without?

Best wishes